What's new

VPN Router Behind Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AlecJBrock

New Around Here
A while back I moved I. With some friends who have a network already set up, but it's not to snuff so I want to set my network up for my use.

I have an ASUS RT-N53 router which has a VPN server built in, but I can't get it to work because it's not connected directly to a modem. Instead, it's connected to Comcast's (horrible) all-in-one modem/wireless router combo, the Technicolor TC8305C.

My router's assigned IP address is 10.0.0.27, the TC is 10.0.0.1. My router currently uses DHCP to assign IP addresses 192.168.1.>1

What do I have to do with the TC to get VPN to work on my router?

Normally I can figure these things out, but this POS modem/router has the worst interface ever designed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd have to port forward the VPN-related traffic to your router through the Comcast device.

Is it really that simple? Just forward TCP port 1723?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very rarely is anything ever that simple.:) What VPN are you using, OpenVPN or something else? What tunneling protocol?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!