What's new

VPN router with Wifi to internet router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

b82m

New Around Here
I want to setup a permanent VPN, using Wireguard or OpenVPN. The local network connections will be via LAN cable. However, I need to setup the connection to the internet router using Wifi.
Is there a router which supports this scenario, or do I need a separate Wifi bridge device for this?
Thanks!

Most would try to co-locate the VPN device with the main router. What is the physical situation that pushes you to try wireless ?

Too much of the OP's description is imprecise and ambiguous. Perhaps a detailed diagram would help (doesn't have to be fancy, just something scribbled on paper).

I want to setup a permanent VPN, using Wireguard or OpenVPN. The local network connections will be via LAN cable. However, I need to setup the connection to the internet router using Wifi.
Is there a router which supports this scenario, or do I need a separate Wifi bridge device for this?
Thanks!
Gl-net routers can achieve what you want using a WiFi wan connection. They will handle both WireGuard and Open VPN.

They are available in travel and normal SOHO configurations. Most people, myself included have been very pleased with their features and performance.

OK, thanks!
Is there also a non-Chinese alternative? I already tried it with my old AC86. However, I can't switch it to a router mode for Wifi, WISP or similar.

Too much of the OP's description is imprecise and ambiguous. Perhaps a detailed diagram would help (doesn't have to be fancy, just something scribbled on paper).
Internet <---> Internet Router <--- Wifi ---> VPN Router <--- LAN cable ---> Client

So what you want is Client mode (i.e., WISP), where the WAN is virtualized over the wireless client.

This is rather uncommon w/ OEM firmware (save @CaptainSTX suggestion). It is possible w/ FreshTomato and DD-WRT third-party firmware provided you have compatible hardware. I've done it w/ my own ASUS RT-AC68U.

Worst case, you could always connect a standalone wireless bridge to the wired WAN of *any* router to achieve the same results, thus you're NOT locked into any specific router just to get this feature.

Thanks!
Yes, just didn't believe that WISP is such an exception so that I need a standalone bridge. But then I think this will be the best option.