What's new

VPN service question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

laptop

Regular Contributor
My Surfshark subscription has expired recently.
What is a good vpn to get?
I need good cheap if possible. I have had connection and AV scan issues with SS. But that come with having a VPN. Thanks

What do you need VPN for in first place?

If for security, privacy, etc. related commercial VPN advertisements - save your money.

Use AdGuard DNS, blocks ads and trackers. Enable AiProtection, block malicious sites. Both available for free on your router.

Use AdGuard DNS, blocks ads and trackers. Enable AiProtection, block malicious sites. Both available for free on your router.
Thank you I will change the settings and give a go.

Oh yes, another reason is " I have friend" that watches some "out of region sports or streams" and think he needs it to watch USA regional blocked events.

Tech9

Thank you I have changed the setting . sgould I enable the WPS and UPnP?
See below:
Router Security Assessment
Default router login username and password changed -Yes
Wireless password strength check -Good
Wireless encryption enabled -Strong
WPS Disabled -No
UPnP service disabled -No
Web access from WAN disabled -Yes
PING from WAN disabled -Yes
DMZ disabled -Yes
Port trigger disabled -Yes
Port forwarding disabled -Yes
Anonymous login to FTP share disabled -Yes
Disable guest login for Network Place Share -Yes
Malicious Website Blocking enabled -Yes
Vulnerability Protection enabled -Yes
Infected Device Prevention and Blocking -Yes

sgould I enable the WPS and UPnP?

They are currently Enabled. If you don't need WPS and UPnP - Disable.

Oh yes, another reason is " I have friend" that watches some "out of region sports or streams" and think he needs it to watch USA regional blocked events.

For this type of use commercial VPN is okay, but not guaranteed to work. At some point it may be blocked.

Wow. I must be getting that old person disease. I didn't read these correctly. I assume these are all set correctly for the best protection. These are the auto settings.
Thank you. You have been so very helpful.

I assume these are all set correctly for the best protection.

You can disable WPS and UPnP for full 15 points score in AiProtection assessment if it makes you feel safer. WPS is rarely used, UPnP is not needed for most common Internet activity. Both are considered security risk to some degree. Both come enabled by default for specific use cases.