What's new

VPN Through Access Point Only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NaperJP

New Around Here
My current network is running off of a Netgear AC1450 upgraded to a 6300 v2 with DD-WRT. I recently purchased an ASUS RT-AC68P from BB and am planning to use this as my main router placed in the basement in the middle of my house. From there I plan to run ethernet cable to a switch behind my TV. Connected to the switch I will have my Roku, and my old Netgear router acting as an Access Point, which I will hardwire to my TV through one of the LAN ports on the router.

I would like to run a VPN (TorGuard most likely) through the Netgear Access Point to use with the MLB.tv app. Is it possible to do this so that only the WiFi signal from the AP and the TV are being run through the VPN? I didn't want to slow down the rest of the network in the house, and aren't overly concerned with my other traffic needing the VPN.

Thanks in advance.
John

ASUS RT-AC68P
it would be far easier to put the merlin fw on the rt-ac68p and set the vpn to just the mac address of the tv and set everything else to not vpn

the ap cant be used this way if its to be used as an access point only and not a second router

Thanks pete, I didn't even realize that was an option. If you can't tell I'm a novice at this. I can follow directions and don't mind doing a lot of reading before jumping into these projects. I'm sure once I get Merlin loaded on the new router I'll be back with questions about how to set the VPN to run only to the MAC address of the TV....but it's getting late so that will be another day.

Thanks for the advice
John

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!