What's new

WAC120 weak signal - replace or get a an extender?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nikleb

Regular Contributor
I got a Netgear WAC120 access point. It fixed my issues with my Wifi that I encountered after upgrading the FW on my Netgear 3700. However, the signal strength (measured with insider) is a bit weaker than expected. Doing A/B tests between the WAC120 and 3700 shows that the WAC120 is somewhat weaker at the same spots. In most spots of my house I will find stronger signals from neighbors.

Should I replace the WAC120 with a Asus 68 or Netgear R7000 or get an extender like Netgear EX6200? Both options would cost about the same.

Last edited:
I would always buy / try a full blown router than a narrow use device such as an extender. Especially at similar cost.

Ok. Only curious why some of the neighbors signal in my house is stronger than mine.

I am concluding that you recommend using an extender. If I go with an extender will I be able to roam in the house without reconnecting? i.e. same SSID, can connect with a device in one corner of the house and roam around?
Also, will the extender use the MAC access filtering from the access point?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!