What's new

WAN Access to AP routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdikland

Regular Contributor
My main router (AC68U) has WAN access enable option under Admin/System however, this option does not appear to be available to my router(s) set up as AP (AC66U & N66U). Is it possible to access AP routers if so, how??

Last edited:
Here is something to try.

On your primary router set the port for both local and remote access to port 8080 or to another port number besides the standard port 80.

Then on your primary router set it to forward port 80 to the static WAN IP that you have assigned to your AP.

It may not work for lots of reasons including how your firewall is set up, but it is worth a try. Forwarding Port 80 may also result in some other problems on your network. If it does see if it is possible to change the administration port on your AP from 80 to 8085.

Just remember to access your primary router going forward you will have to tack on the port number i.e 192.168.1.1:8080.

:eek:You lost me at "On your primary router set the port for both local and remote access to port 8080". I cannot find the option(s) to set either local or remote ports

BTW: Asus RT-AC68U with Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.39 (Merlin build)

My main router (AC68U) has WAN access enable option under Admin/System however, this option does not appear to be available to my router(s) set up as AP (AC66U & N66U). Is it possible to access AP routers if so, how??

..in AP-mode there simplky is no WAN side on the ASUS.
The ASUS Web-UI can be reached at the LAN-IP.

In order to access this from the Internet, you need to get access to your Home-LAN first, like with using VPN.

:eek:You lost me at "On your primary router set the port for both local and remote access to port 8080". I cannot find the option(s) to set either local or remote ports

BTW: Asus RT-AC68U with Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.39 (Merlin build)

With Merlin's firmware I'm not sure you can change both the LAN and WAN access ports without a script, However if you got to:

Administration > system > and enable access from WAN you then can set the port for remote access.

With Tomato you have the option to set both from the Web GUI.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!