What's new

WAN IP Address changing on PPPoE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gordon1M

Occasional Visitor
Router - RT-N66U
Firmware Asus-Merlin 374.43

I am using Bell Business Internet DSL PPPoE for my Internet connection. Up to a couple of months ago the assigned WAN (dynamic) IP address was very stable, only changing ever few months or so. Since April 2015, I have been seeing the WAN IP address changing once or twice a day and, yesterday, there were over 20 changes. Every time there is an IP address change there is a short Internet outage. I monitor the WAN IP address with a jffs script that e-mails me when there is a change.

Bell sent me a new modem, but the IP address changes have persisted. My next assumption was that there was a problem with the Bell line (the pedestal where the local connection is made was knocked over by a snowplough this past winter and had to be fixed by a tech in sub-zero temperatures). However, I have recently removed the Asus router and connected a computer directly to the modem (in bridge mode). For over 20 hours, the WAN IP address has not changed, which is unusual based on recent experience with the Asus router in situ.

I plan to put the Asus modem back and power it from a different UPS (in case there is a power problem with the existing old UPS). Prior to the recent removal, the Asus modem has not been power-cycled for many months so, perhaps I will notice a difference when the router is re-installed and powered up again.

If the router is re-setting the PPPoE connection, should I be able to tell why this is happening from the router log?

I know that the 374.43 firmware is rather old but the modem had been stable, so I didn't update it. Maybe I should update it anyway from a security point of view.

Has anyone had experience of WAN IP address changes with PPPoE similar to mine? Is the 374.43 firmware that I am using prone to this?

Thank you
Gordon

Hi! I have the same problem with my Virgin Valerie Router. The WAN IP of my Asus router is constantly changing and I have a domain name that points to my router but it almost never work because of the ip changing...

Did you ever find out how to make the WAN IP more stable please ?

Thank you!
Router - RT-N66U
Firmware Asus-Merlin 374.43

I am using Bell Business Internet DSL PPPoE for my Internet connection. Up to a couple of months ago the assigned WAN (dynamic) IP address was very stable, only changing ever few months or so. Since April 2015, I have been seeing the WAN IP address changing once or twice a day and, yesterday, there were over 20 changes. Every time there is an IP address change there is a short Internet outage. I monitor the WAN IP address with a jffs script that e-mails me when there is a change.

Bell sent me a new modem, but the IP address changes have persisted. My next assumption was that there was a problem with the Bell line (the pedestal where the local connection is made was knocked over by a snowplough this past winter and had to be fixed by a tech in sub-zero temperatures). However, I have recently removed the Asus router and connected a computer directly to the modem (in bridge mode). For over 20 hours, the WAN IP address has not changed, which is unusual based on recent experience with the Asus router in situ.

I plan to put the Asus modem back and power it from a different UPS (in case there is a power problem with the existing old UPS). Prior to the recent removal, the Asus modem has not been power-cycled for many months so, perhaps I will notice a difference when the router is re-installed and powered up again.

If the router is re-setting the PPPoE connection, should I be able to tell why this is happening from the router log?

I know that the 374.43 firmware is rather old but the modem had been stable, so I didn't update it. Maybe I should update it anyway from a security point of view.

Has anyone had experience of WAN IP address changes with PPPoE similar to mine? Is the 374.43 firmware that I am using prone to this?

Thank you
Gordon

Hi! I have the same problem with my Virgin Valerie Router. The WAN IP of my Asus router is constantly changing and I have a domain name that points to my router but it almost never work because of the ip changing...

Did you ever find out how to make the WAN IP more stable please ?

Thank you!

This thread is 8 years old.

Dynamic IPs change, you need to use a DDNS service if you want a hostname pointing to your WAN IP (or pay your ISP for a static IP).