What's new

WAN or LAN port when using router as access point?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pbc

Regular Contributor
So I have two netgear r7000s, one of which I want to setup as an access point and use the same ssid. The Netgear instructions say to plug into the wan port of the router to be used as an access point. But elsewhere I've read to plug into the Lan port. What is the right method and or does it matter?

Is this a good article to use?

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233

Tx

Using the WAN port of a consumer router as a LAN port means that the CPU has to bridge traffic. Technically even MIPS CPUs have no issues bridging 2 ports at wirespeed but anymore than that they cant handle. It is great though to be able to use the WAN port as a LAN port on a consumer router because it gives you 5 ports instead of 4 for switching.

If you use a WAN port you are going to be routing and if you use a LAN port you are running a flat network, all in the same network.