What's new

WAP spacing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BostonDan

Regular Contributor
I just upgraded my router to the Asus N66U from a Dlink DIR655 and I started thinking I could setup the DIR655 with OpenDNS for my kids tablets, providing me with some level of comfort they are not going to sites I disapprove of.

I would like to position both routers in the center of my house but I feel like I read somewhere that it is not a good idea to position two WAPs close to each other.

Can anyone share their insight on how far apart the routers should be?

Minimum of 10 feet or so, 20 MHz mode in 2.4 GHz, different channels using 1, 6, 11.

Thanks Tim. As always, you provide a wealth of good information.
I kinda had a feeling that was going to be the answer. Time to reconsider my placement.

AP Spacing

Minimum of 10 feet or so, 20 MHz mode in 2.4 GHz, different channels using 1, 6, 11.

While Tim's suggestion is probably best for a perfect setup, if the seperation is not possible try using them in closer proximity.

I have four APs (Local ISP, VPN Miami, VPN London and Wireless G ) set up in very close proximity using different channels and I don't notice any change in performance if I shut three of them down and test vs having all four on. All of the devices are all connected to my primary router using short Ethernet cables. In addition I have another AP connected using Ethernet over powerline.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!