What's new

WAP321 on a Powerline Adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
I need some help. I picked up a couple of Cisco WAP321 wireless units cheap. I want to locate one using a Netgear Powerline 500 Nano. I don’t have room for a switch so I think I need a POE power injector to power the unit. I am going to run a wire along the base board and then up the back of a door so it will not be seen. The wireless WAP321 unit is going to be high and I cannot reach a power 110 plug. I would like a small unit to use close to the Netgear powerline unit to hide away and just let the power flow in the CAT5E cable about 20 feet away. Is this the best solution or do they make a POE powerline adapter?
PS
I run 2 networks, one being a guest so I will need a trunk which the Netgear says they support VLANs. Has anybody done something like this?
PSS
I went back and checked the documentation and did not see any mention of VLANs. I guess it was something else I read. I guess this is a layer 1 only device and hopefully it will not matter.
I still need a power injector. The only 2 I have come accross is the TP-Link and a Cisco one.

Last edited:
beware Cisco PoE. Some models did not use IEEE compliant PoE but rather you needed a Cisco-PoE injector which used a different strategy than IEEE and different voltages. Maybe the Cisco proprietary PoE is not used in the WAP321.

UPDATE: Cisco's data sheet says it is IEEE PoE compliant. But also, it can run on 12VDC. I've done 5VDC down cat5, two spare pairs. But if you want GigE, you proably can't do that, or you have to have a 2nd cat5 cable just for 12VDC, assuming there's no mains power near the WAP.

Last edited:
I ordered a Cisco power injector because I was not sure so hopefully it will work.

I have another question about the picture I have included and wireless reception. I want to mount the WAP321 in the corner above the door jam. Do you think it will make much difference working wise on whether I mount the WAP321 close to the door or up high in the corner? I have 10 foot ceilings.
PS
I cannot attach a picture. Sorry.

I run two networks, one of which being a guest so I'll need a rod that Netgear say they support VLAN. There are already doing something like this?;)

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!