What's new

WDS b/w rt-n56u & rt-ac66u?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

travishume

New Around Here
I'm trying to setup wds b/w an older rt-n56u and a new rt-ac66u. The rt-ac66u is primary and shows a connection to the rt-n56u. The rt-n56u shows a connection to the rt-ac66u.

Problem is no routing.

rt-ac66u is running latest merlin firmware
rt-n56u is running latest Padavan firmware, no dhcp, no firewall

They are using different SSIDs and when connecting to the rt-n56u I receive no lease and am unable to route to or ping anything (no surprising with no IP).

Any suggestions appreciated. I've been searching for others with this setup but google is letting me down.

Thanks!

methinks that a WDS repeater needs to use the same SSID as its WDS peer (e.g., WiFi router)

DHCP lease would be an SSID or encryption mismatch. Without the DHCP lease, if the SSIDs match, it still should do repeating as that's a layer 2 function whereas IP is layer 3.

As in an AP, the IP address (should be static, not DHCP) is just to admin the device.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion but alas, it's not to be

I might continue trying to get these 2 to talk to each other, but drilling a hole in my ceiling and running ethernet seems more viable at this point.

Gotta say I'm less than impressed by the range of the rt-ac66u compared to the rt-n56u.

Anyway, thanks again.

I might continue trying to get these 2 to talk to each other, but drilling a hole in my ceiling and running ethernet seems more viable at this point.
Or use HomePlug/PowerLine, or MoCA.

Check out flat cat5 cable too. Very thin. Under carpets, behind baseboards, etc.