What's new

Weird connection drops on 5ghz Wifi GT-AX11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ebalsumgo

Regular Contributor
I cannot pinpoint the exact firmware upgrade, but it has been done sometime in the last 2-3. Currently running the latest (3004.388.7), and every so often, it is not exactly on a perfect cadence; connection drops for a second on the 5ghz radios (I do not have non-IoT devices connected on the 2.4, so actually have not tested that band to see if it is isolated to 5ghz radios or not). You can see below I usually maintain an auto-reconnect connection to my home server with this path: home->external DNS name->ssh home, though it is irrelevant, I can do a direct local connection, and the same issue is present:
Code:
╭─ 12:48:36  boris@zeus  ~ ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── ✔  192.168.1.76 
╰─❯ Shared connection to router closed.
Last login: Thu Jul 18 07:57:08 2024 from 192.168.1.1
╭─ 15:49:04  boris@zeus  ~ ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── ✔  192.168.1.76 
Last login: Thu Jul 18 15:49:03 2024 from 192.168.1.1
╭─ 18:58:31  boris@zeus  ~ ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── ✔  192.168.1.76 
Last login: Thu Jul 18 18:58:31 2024 from 192.168.1.1
╭─ 22:04:44  boris@zeus  ~ ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── ✔  192.168.1.76 
Last login: Thu Jul 18 22:04:44 2024 from 192.168.1.1
╭─ 03:07:05  boris@zeus  ~ ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── ✔  192.168.1.76 
╰─❯ Shared connection to router.kurktchiev.me closed.

I have browsed various threads on the forum and have:
- locked the control channel
- disabled key rotation

I have NOT tried:
- Dropping 160hz band+DFS

Weirdly I also had to flat out disable the second 5ghz radio as all clients connected to it would at most achieve 200mb throughput even though there is no interference on 161+ channels anywhere near me, but that feels like more of a red herring potentially.

The 2.4 radio and the 5 are separate SSIDs, no Smart Connect is enabled.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone else has seen similar things or if maybe my unit is in need of a hard reset or something...

when I have weird problems like that a reboot/ reset usually fixes the problems . when was the last time you did a clean install or reset after upgrading the FW ?

yeah reboots do not do anything. I have not done a hard reset and do everything again from scratch since I set up the router last year... was hoping to avoid resetting everything ahahahah