What's new

RT-AX58U broadcasts weird SSID when WPA3 enabled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DnLS

Occasional Visitor
I have RT-AX58U router, and when I enable WPA3 protection, besides my SSID I see weird long SSID with random characters for approximately 30-40 seconds after router boots. It looks pretty weird and I didn't manage to find any explanation of it. When I enable WPA2, this SSID is not shown. Does anyone know what is that and what do this weird symbols in SSID mean? My friend also has another model of Asus router and has the same behavior.

Seems its a issue with using WPA3. Some additional discussion in the following if you haven't seen it already.

PS: Per that link, it seems if you use WPA2/WPA3-Personal or WPA2-Personal for the 2.4Ghz band the phantom/ghost SSID may disappear. Also look at disabling WPS if enabled.

Last edited:
WPS is disabled. Actually this ghost SSID doesn't bother me a lot as it is visible for 30-40 seconds, but my concern is what do symbols in this SSID mean and if it exposes some security key and if there is any security risk with that

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online