What's new

Westell 7500 - understanding network statistics

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zeppelindork

New Around Here
When I log onto my Westell 7500 modem/router, and navigate to:

Advanced > Diagnostics > Network Statistics > Ethernet

I'm given stats for the four Ethernet ports, namely: Ethernet MTU; Packet Information - In Non Unicast, In Unicast, Out Non Unicast, Out Unicast

I have a remedial understanding of what packets are (never sniffed any), so I figure these numbers are just a measure of the packet traffic through the router's Ethernet ports. If my assumptions are correct, shouldn't all of these numbers be >= zero?

My router claims to have -251 Packets coming IN on Port 4.

If this isn't a bug or whatever, don't waste too much effort explaining why ('cuz I ain't hurtin' myself on the understand!). I just want some feedback from those of you in the know. And don't be afraid to tell me that I'm correct! :+D

Attachments

• Westell 7500 router screenshot.jpg
    Westell 7500 router screenshot.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 293
When I log onto my Westell 7500 modem/router, and navigate to:

Advanced > Diagnostics > Network Statistics > Ethernet

I'm given stats for the four Ethernet ports, namely: Ethernet MTU; Packet Information - In Non Unicast, In Unicast, Out Non Unicast, Out Unicast

I have a remedial understanding of what packets are (never sniffed any), so I figure these numbers are just a measure of the packet traffic through the router's Ethernet ports. If my assumptions are correct, shouldn't all of these numbers be >= zero?

My router claims to have -251 Packets coming IN on Port 4.

If this isn't a bug or whatever, don't waste too much effort explaining why ('cuz I ain't hurtin' myself on the understand!). I just want some feedback from those of you in the know. And don't be afraid to tell me that I'm correct! :+D
That negative number looks like a bug, but everything else is just a packet count.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!