What's new

What ASUS Router Has The Fastest Speeds As a OpenVPN Client?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dr.Derp

Occasional Visitor
Looking to get a new router to use as a OpenVPN Client with PIA and was wondering what ASUS router would be best, setup as a OpenVPN Client, to achieve the fastest up/down speeds over OpenVPN?

Looking to get a new router to use as a OpenVPN Client with PIA and was wondering what ASUS router would be best, setup as a OpenVPN Client, to achieve the fastest up/down speeds over OpenVPN?

Either the RT-AC56U or RT-AC68U. Same CPU.

are there any other significant differences between the RT-AC56U or RT-AC68U hardware or spec wise?

I dont really care about the WiFi speeds at all, I just want to get what ever router has the best specs to run as a OpenVPN Client allowing max up/down speeds to PIA VPN servers.

are there any other significant differences between the RT-AC56U or RT-AC68U hardware or spec wise?

I dont really care about the WiFi speeds at all, I just want to get what ever router has the best specs to run as a OpenVPN Client allowing max up/down speeds to PIA VPN servers.

Only big difference is 2x2 vs 3x3 wifi. Also you can easily clock the AC68 RAM to 666 MHz through Asus's CFE updater, while it has to be manually done on the AC56U if you want to dabble into overclocking.

have you tested either of the RT-AC56U or RT-AC68U as a OpenVPN Client to see what kinda speeds they are capable of reaching at all to external VPN servers?

have you tested either of the RT-AC56U or RT-AC68U as a OpenVPN Client to see what kinda speeds they are capable of reaching at all to external VPN servers?

Everyone's experience will vary. Loss in throughput is not only the result of processing overhead but your distance from the remote servers as well as your VPN provider's bandwidth. With my setup only StrongVPN can give me 70 Mbps down connected to a server 250 miles distant. With most other VPN providers in the same city I am lucky to get 40 Mbps.

Everyone's experience will vary. Loss in throughput is not only the result of processing overhead but your distance from the remote servers as well as your VPN provider's bandwidth. With my setup only StrongVPN can give me 70 Mbps down connected to a server 250 miles distant. With most other VPN providers in the same city I am lucky to get 40 Mbps.

what is your setup exactly? VPN client on router or PC client?
what is your ISP speed without VPN on?

I travel and when doing so for extended periods want to be able to stream US TV, Netflix, Amazon wherever I am.

Set Up - Currently USA - Tampa Florida

VPN - Provider Strong VPN - Server (Either Miami or Atlanta)

ISP - Verizon FIOS 75/35 (Often test over 80 )

Primary Router Actiontec (Needed for Verizon Set top boxes, etc. )

VPN Set Up double NATed behind Actiontec

ASUS N66U - Custom Tomato Dual Gateway VPN Firmware from Sabai

SABAI VPN Accelerator (Atom Processor & 4 Gigs memory )

VPN software runs on the accelerator which handles all the VPN processing. I always use OpenVPN but will also handle PPTP & L2TP.

I fairly consistently get 70/30 throughput running this setup. I have only been able to get this speed using StrongVPN. HMA, IPVanish, Astrill among others could not deliver speeds in excess of 40 Mbps when run on my set up.

Where my setup earns its keep is when I am overseas with a slower Internet connection and you need/want the fastest possible connection for streaming. While losing 50 - 60% of your throughput on a 75/35 connection would not be a problem for most video streaming, it becomes a problem if you start off with a 10 Mbps or slower connection.

With my setup I can get a much higher percentage of my base ISP speed when connecting using a OpenVPN connection. My setup can't eliminate the impact of connecting to a server 4,000 miles distant but it can eliminate the reduction resulting from VPN processing overhead.

All speeds noted were measured with a wired connection to the router.

I was able to double my speed using TCP instead of UDP for PIA

I have the Asus RT-AC66U with the Merlin build acting as a client for PIA. With UDP, I was only getting 11/5 on a 28/10 connection. I switched it to TCP/443 and my speed went back up to 22/10 (sometimes peaks at 26). My whole network goes through the VPN and performance hasn't been an issue since switching the protocol.

RT-AC56U / RT-AC68U @ 1200 MHz

OpenVPN TUN/TCP:443 : ~ 50 MBit/s

OpenVPN TUN/UDP:1194 : ~ 25 MBit/s