What's new

What is going on here!? How/Why am I Speed Testing Dual WAN (1Gbps/1Gbps @ 1:1 Load Balance) at ~2 Gbps speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mower8739

New Around Here
From my reading, I should not be experiencing more than 1Gbps on a single speed test. Here's my situation:

At my apartment complex we pay for 1Gbps/1Gbps Fiber. Fiber seemingly comes into a central switch outside each building. Then 2 drops are made into each apartment, one to ceiling AP and one to a living room ethernet jack. Last year I ripped out their low quality AP, MAC cloned my Asus router, and hooked that up for much better WiFi. I made sure to scan channels and maintain my portion as a good neighbor.

I was running my PC off of the other jack with a 30ft ethernet cable through a little closet and into my office cleanly routed across the baseboards. I wanted to connect my comp to the same Asus router so I can do PCVR streaming and control everything from a single interface. Today I decided to speed test both connections simultaneously. I was 100% sure they'd centrally manage the 2 ports per apartment to 1Gbps total bandwith. But I can run both at 1Gbps. I know I'm Double-NATing everything, such as life.

I tried WAN Aggregation which I couldn't get to work. From my understanding Dual WAN should get me 2Gbps total bandwith but not increase my speeds. How/why am I reaching nearly 2Gbps on a speed test with Dual WAN? What the heck is going on here!?

202408011412.jpg

It's fairly common these days for ISP's to over provision. Enjoy the extra speed you were not expecting :)

I'm just trying to understand it from a networking perspective. I'm assuming the entire community has a central Fiber ONT as the IP is the same for everyone, and from there it goes to switches at each building and then 2 lines into each unit.

Maybe it's just showing the extra bandwith on Speedtest.net as it's set for Multi streams and not Single? If I set it to Single, no matter if I'm single or Dual WAN I get ~500 Mbps. I feel like that should be 1 Gbps should it not?

With Multi I get ~1 Gbps as single WAN and what you see above as dual.

Just curious what's going on.

Means the addition speeds is cause by multiple thread downloading the said test files. Meaning it like It split the files to multiple parts then send to your pc and rejoin later.

From my reading, I should not be experiencing more than 1Gbps on a single speed test. Here's my situation:

At my apartment complex we pay for 1Gbps/1Gbps Fiber. Fiber seemingly comes into a central switch outside each building. Then 2 drops are made into each apartment, one to ceiling AP and one to a living room ethernet jack. Last year I ripped out their low quality AP, MAC cloned my Asus router, and hooked that up for much better WiFi. I made sure to scan channels and maintain my portion as a good neighbor.

I was running my PC off of the other jack with a 30ft ethernet cable through a little closet and into my office cleanly routed across the baseboards. I wanted to connect my comp to the same Asus router so I can do PCVR streaming and control everything from a single interface. Today I decided to speed test both connections simultaneously. I was 100% sure they'd centrally manage the 2 ports per apartment to 1Gbps total bandwith. But I can run both at 1Gbps. I know I'm Double-NATing everything, such as life.

I tried WAN Aggregation which I couldn't get to work. From my understanding Dual WAN should get me 2Gbps total bandwith but not increase my speeds. How/why am I reaching nearly 2Gbps on a speed test with Dual WAN? What the heck is going on here!?

View attachment 60789
Would you mind posting a screenshot of your Dual-WAN settings as all my attempts at load balancing appear to have ended up in total failure so far? Thank you for sharing your experience.

Would you mind posting a screenshot of your Dual-WAN settings as all my attempts at load balancing appear to have ended up in total failure so far? Thank you for sharing your experience.

Nothing special in my settings, I just changed to Load Balance and set 1:1.

It seems like an extremely buggy feature. It will break for me if you even change a WiFi setting and reboot the router. What you have to do is unplug the second WAN cable, let it grab an IP and connect (it'll show second WAN as being disconnected at that point), then plug in the second one, and it'll work.

Nothing special in my settings, I just changed to Load Balance and set 1:1.

It seems like an extremely buggy feature. It will break for me if you even change a WiFi setting and reboot the router. What you have to do is unplug the second WAN cable, let it grab an IP and connect (it'll show second WAN as being disconnected at that point), then plug in the second one, and it'll work.
Extremely buggy indeed which is why I have been forced to use the TP-Link ER605 in front of my Asus to try and get this to partially work given my slow internet suppliers.

What values did you input for the Detect Interval, Internet Connection Diagnosis and Network Monitoring? Also have you installed the Dusl WAN failover script?

It seems like an extremely buggy feature.

Issues with Dual WAN are known and attempts to fix were made:

I personally never tested the script and don't know if it helps in load balance configuration.

Extremely buggy indeed which is why I have been forced to use the TP-Link ER605 in front of my Asus to try and get this to partially work given my slow internet suppliers.

What values did you input for the Detect Interval, Internet Connection Diagnosis and Network Monitoring? Also have you installed the Dusl WAN failover script?
Like I said, I didn't touch anything. These are defaults.

202408111819.jpg

View attachment 60789
I've tested this before when developing WAN Failover script, Speedtest will have many sessions going which utilizes both of your WAN links however a single session will only utilize one.