What's new

What is the best bridge/access point to use with WNDR3700?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GregP

New Around Here
I'm looking for something that would give max throughput and min response time and be compatible with this router. Alternatively, if anyone can recommend a wireless N router - bridge combination faster than WNDR3700, that would be really, really helpful. I'm trying to stream movies/movies/photos on my network as well as do some file sharing and automated backups. Here's what the network needs to look like:
room 1: cable model - wireless router-connected-to-NAS box-and 2 computers
room 2 (wireless connection): Sonos player
room 3 (wireless connection): wireless bridge-connected-to-(Tivo, Plasma, Media Center PC, and PS3)

room 3 needs 2-way movie streaming to the NAS box in room 1 as well as backups.
room 2 needs 1-way music streaming to Sonos
Thanks ...

It sounds like you may be expecting too much from a wireless bridge. I think you need to do a calculation of what your peak / average bandwidth needs are. If you are running multiple video streams and large backups simultaneously, I suspect you'll run out of bandwidth.

I'm planning to run no more than 2 HD video streams and some very light network traffic simultaneously. Will the WNDR3700 + a wireless bridge be insufficient for this kind of traffic? What would you recommend? Thanks. The backups will happen during off-hours and will primarily involved wired Gigabit links.

Depending on the distance, interference from neighboring wireless networks and the bit rate of the stream(s), even one HD stream might not work reliably.

802.11n provides higher throughput than 802.11g, but the throughput has much more variation in it, often dropping below what is needed for an HD stream.

Next best to Ethernet for bandwidth is MoCA, then possibly HomePlug AV (200 Mbps) powerline.

What sort of distance, how many walls, ceilings and what is the wall construction of the locations that you are trying to connect wirelessly?

I just read up about MoCA. Will it work irrespective of the cable source-target directions (e.g. cable signal comes into the house and is then split between the 3 rooms - will MoCA handle communication between rooms without rewiring?)? Do you have any recommedations on the best equipment to get?

Distances and obstructions:
room 1: cable model - wireless router-connected-to-NAS box-and 2 computers (2nd floor)
room 2 (wireless connection): Sonos player (2nd floor)
room 3 (wireless connection): wireless bridge-connected-to-(Tivo, Plasma, Media Center PC, and PS3) (1st floor)

room 1 to room 3 wireless connection needs to go through the floor (basic wood timber construction, about 20ft)
room 1 to room 3 wireless connection needs to go through 2 walls (basic wood timber construction and drywall, about 35-40ft)

Since WNDR3700 is dual-channel N, do you think it would support this scenario?

Thanks again. This is great advice.

MoCA will work through splitters, but not through amplifiers. It will work fine sharing a coax with OTA signals and even cable TV. But not with satellite TV.

There are only a few retail MoCA products. The NETGEAR is as good as any.

Dual-band N is only going to help you if you put one HD stream on 5 GHz and the other on 2.4. 5 GHz range is lower than 2.4, however. And even then, especially if you're trying to do 1080p, it's a crapshoot for trouble-free streaming.

Thanks. I'll try to compare the MoCA solution to the Wireless N solution. Which bridge (or router-bridge combination) would you recommend for the Wireless N solution?

I like the NETGEAR WNHDE111 for 5 GHz (only).

I haven't tested that many bridges. Hit the Wireless Charts, select the DAP-1522, WET610N and WGA600N and use the Performance Table feature to see how they compare.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online