What's new

What is the better router - TP-Link Archer C9 or Asus RT-AC3200?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SBunny

New Around Here
Currently in the market to replace my Motorola SBG6782-AC gateway. Already picked up an SB6183 Modem, but am unsure what the best router currently available is. Something that is fast, has the lowest ping, great range, and doesn't require constant reboots would be nice.

I came across both the Archer C9 and RT-AC3200. Any opinions about which of the two is better would be greatly appreciated, thanks. :)

Last edited:
Having multiple clients does not necessarily mean that you need a MU-MIMO or a tri-band router, unless they all are involved in simultaneous data transfers at once. And if the communications are through a slower internet pipe, then it will be your bottleneck regardless of how capable is the router. In fact, the AC1900 routers may also be not worth the premium over AC1750 because the only improvement is have is providing a slight performance boost in the 2.4GHz wireless-n operation thanks to TurboQAM modulation, which is proprietary and not well supported. In fact, since most wireless clients have two stream hardware, an AC1200 router would work fine for most people, though it seems like AC1750 is sort of a "standard" with a lot of models being fairly affordable. The C9 does have the advantage of having a beta build of dd-wrt firmware available, if you need it, while dd-wrt for C8 is still work in progress.

Why would you be looking at the AC3200 for 8 devices?

I have 32 devices and don't need that much router.

Can you tell us more about your wireless clients? Unless you have a reason to separate your clients onto discrete 5Ghz channels, the TP-Link is HALF the price.

Performance for what? Individual clients? Aggregate throughput? USB 3 I/O?

Without any specifics, you can't definitively say the AC3200 will offer better performance.

I'm just looking for the best performance all around. Just so the router isn't the bottleneck in the network chain. Something with recent technological advances that are beneficial to avoid being left behind.

Low latency, fast lan throughput, fast wan to lan, excellent range to try and cover deadzones, fast internal processor to avoid slowdown due to high usage, and excellent multi-user wifi connectivity that doesn't drop when one client is utilizing lots of bandwidth on the channel.

Would it be better to just pick up an Archer C9 now and wait for the next generation routers? (AC5300 right around the corner?)

I would. Again, the C9 is less than half the price of the AC3200 and the AC3200 really isn't that much more router than the big three AC1900 routers.

I'm just looking for the best performance all around. Just so the router isn't the bottleneck in the network chain. Something with recent technological advances that are beneficial to avoid being left behind.

Low latency, fast lan throughput, fast wan to lan, excellent range to try and cover deadzones, fast internal processor to avoid slowdown due to high usage, and excellent multi-user wifi connectivity that doesn't drop when one client is utilizing lots of bandwidth on the channel.

Would it be better to just pick up an Archer C9 now and wait for the next generation routers? (AC5300 right around the corner?)
Think about this. If you want to get the newest, you'll have to suffer little bit until the product matures. Performance is one thing but
in my book stability is more important. If I were you, RT-AC87U or even RT-AC68U is good choice. Having better modem is one thing but ISP has to take care of it, just connecting better modem does not guarantee better performance.

I had a 87u which suffered a hw failure - but it was fast and the range excellent.. i then tried a 68u.. within a day I knew it was not for me - drop outs in places the 5ghz would reach with the 87u - in fact, with the 68, very few devices connected to 5Ghz. Due to my worry about heat on the 87u, I am going to try the ac3200 - i have no need for 4x4, but I do have a lot of devices connected (there are 5 of us with multiple devices) which I hope the ac3200 will help with.

Netgear and Linksys - both don't have a great story where I need the features - parental controls - ASUS allows me to restrict not just time, but also categories of sites, the other two are very lacking in that regard.. I also see Asus trying to fix issues, whereas you see the Netgear and Linksys forums littered with folks waiting an age for new firmware