What's new

What is the difference between DNS Director and DHCP > manually assign DNS to each client?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChackieJan

New Around Here
If I want to assign a specific DNS to a client, I can go to LAN>DHCP Server>Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list and add a specific DNS Server.
DHCP DNS.png

I just want to know how this is different than using DNS Director. It looks if I want to use DNS Director, I just choose the same client and add a DNS in the User defined DNS box. and add it to the Client List. Doesn't this accomplish the same thing?

Beware that use of either methodology means you're bypassing the router's built-in local DNS server, DNSMasq. And that can have serious implications. You now lose access to DNSMasq features, such as local name resolution, caching, ad-blocking based management of the hosts file (common w/ certain addon), etc. You also get locked into that one (1) specified DNS server. Should it fail, you have no backup DNS server(s). DNSMasq can also optimize queries by concurrently using multiple DNS servers on the client's behalf.

That's why you have to be a little cautious about choosing either one of these alternatives to DNSMasq. IMO, this is a more important consideration than whether you use DHCP vs. DNS Director. The differences between the two are relatively inconsequential; the former is NOT enforceable, while the latter is.

Last edited:
This is good information. Thank you. I'm just trying to add kid friendly dns to the their devices. I would think the additional features provided by DNSMasq isn't too important for a little kid. It sounds like DNS Director is a safer bet.