What's new

What Should I get?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hawkeye62

Occasional Visitor
I use a centrally located wireless AP for my whole house wireless needs. But, I need a replacement for my DIR-655 router. I have wireless turned off on the DIR-655 and just use the router features.

Can someone suggest a replacement for the DIR-655? I want at least the router features of the DIR-655. I would like to keep the cost less than $200.

Thanks for any suggestions, Jim

Why aren't you using the DIR-655 wireless?

Why aren't you using the DIR-655 wireless?

The DIR-655 is (has to be) in a den located at the extreme right corner of my large house. I have never been able to find a wireless router that would give me whole house wireless coverage from that location. So, I have a wireless AP centrally located that gives excellent whole house wireless coverage and the DIR-655 gives me excellent router performance. I am looking for a router to replace the DIR-655 since it is getting a little long of tooth. (No problems yet, I am just looking to the future.

Thanks, Jim

If you use the 655's auto-QoS features, I'd look for another Ubicom-based router. Maybe the DIR-657. Not great wireless, but you don't care! :)

I use a centrally located wireless AP for my whole house wireless needs. But, I need a replacement for my DIR-655 router. I have wireless turned off on the DIR-655 and just use the router features.

Can someone suggest a replacement for the DIR-655? I want at least the router features of the DIR-655. I would like to keep the cost less than $200.

Thanks for any suggestions, Jim

The 655 is a pretty decent router as it is... most routers "die" not due to the router failing, but to the $1.25 AC wall adapter they plug into... buy a back up wall adapter and save the money :cool:

If you use the 655's auto-QoS features, I'd look for another Ubicom-based router. Maybe the DIR-657. Not great wireless, but you don't care! :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I notice the DIR-827 is also Ubicom based but has much faster routing performance. What do you think about the DIR-827?

Thanks again, Jim

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!