What's new

What to use AC66U for (was replaced by AC87U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodean

Very Senior Member
Have my old AC66U sitting the closet as it was replaced in my condo by my AC87U.

Any good suggestions on what it could be used for? Or is selling it the best option

Set it up as a media bridge.

media bridge then over repeater? Right now I have 1 device (receiver) that doesn't have wifi. It is plugged into a netgear hub (which I could replace with the ac66u). The Xbox One and Tv both are on the wireless. Wondering if it would be better to ethernet the xbox one to the 66U when in media bridge, opposed to just using the Wireless N off the xbox one.

I use Asus RT-87U as main router. Use RT-AC66U as repeater. Extreme range coverage.

I use Asus RT-87U as main router. Use RT-AC66U as repeater. Extreme range coverage.

wouldn't the throughput degrade up to 50% if I connect to the 66U in repeater mode? If the 66U is in repeater mode, then plugging in components that do not have wifi, via ethernet, will not work? That only works in media bridge?

Last edited:
Give it to me :p

wouldn't the throughput degrade up to 50% if I connect to the 66U in repeater mode? If the 66U is in repeater mode, then plugging in components that do not have wifi, via ethernet, will not work? That only works in media bridge?

Flash either DD-WRT kongac 24200 OLDD on it or the latest Tomato build (v123).

The named DD-WRT build has the best wireless troughput of all firmwares I've tried but for some reason DD-WRT on the AC66U (I have two units)
totally messes up the WAN-Port resulting on PING TIMEOUT to the router every 10 minutes to 2 hours no matter the CPU/RAM-Load and a high ping
even if you tweak TCP, MTU and so forth. It 's only useable as a Repeater with this firmware - but suits the job the best at least.

Tomato v123 is way more stable but uses the f*cked up new wireless drivers that don't allow any power adjustments to be made.
Resulting in a manufacturer fixed transmission power for both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ. I could curse them for it. I really do.

The AC66U has been nothing but trouble same as the AC56U much unlike the N66U they are clearly my last ASUS routers.
In the future I'm not getting any new ASUS hardware unlike they get back on their path the shortly left after releasing the AC66U (which doesn't seem like it).

And I guess most developers think the same which is why the AC56U, AC68 and above are getting slow (if any) Firmware updates halfheartly at all.
That 's clearly not only due to them using ARM CPUs now. I guess most of them moved onto another brand like Netgear.

Last edited: