What's new

What's the best throughput you got?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

obender

Occasional Visitor
Would you please share you numbers and configurations (AP/Router and clients). Also if possible mention how busy is your WiFi neighborhood.

Question too vague.
Also, jargon: "throughput", in the networking biz, means the net yield end to end including all overhead. It does not mean the indicated raw data rate on some link like WiFi or Ethernet, or your ISP's modem.

No matter, I think $15 DSL is about 1.5Mbps down on a good day. $30 DSL is about twice that. Cable modems are about 10-20Mbps down, with bursts (maybe 30 seconds max) of 20-30Mbps (that's how Time Warner runs theirs; Cox is a bit more generous). Then there are the lucky wealthy few using FIOS.

Throughput via ISP to various hosts? Or throughput on WiFi on LAN only? The latter will be affected too by speed of CPU and if there's disk I/O in making the measurement.

If you want to know speed on WiFi that's not limited by servers, CPUs, and IP stacks, beyond 11g speeds, that's hard to measure, and dependent on competition for air time among neighbors if/when they use air time.

Last edited:
I agree, too many factors to make any conclusions. I was wondering about "inside your WLAN (and LAN/WLAN)" throughput.