What's new

What's the difference between AC-86U & AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AX-Router

Occasional Visitor
I am trying to see the major difference between these 2 models (medium level)
Both are dual bands and throughput difference is very small.
Can someone tell me the noticeable pros one over the other and which is more stable?:confused:

RT-AC86U is based on a newer architecture (both hardware and software). It has a 64-bit Cortex A53 CPU (versus 32-bit Cortex A9), and supports hardware accelerated AES (for roughly 3 times the OpenVPN performance of previous CPUs) and a crypto engine (for accelerated IPSEC).

Newer software architecture from Broadcom which might possibly provide enhancements to NAT acceleration - unknown at this point, and a newer Linux kernel.

Although the AC86U is a less expensive unit, it has better wifi performance based on my testing of both devices. I never tested VPN performance side-by-side, but the AC86U will definitely beat the AC3100 there too. There's no reason not to buy the AC86U.

The reviews these days on Amazon are fairly horrific regarding the 2.4 GHz WiFi reliability of the RT-AC86U though. It went from being one of the highest customer satisfaction models to one of the lowest of the mainstream models in about 7 months.

It could be just a batch problem however. Also, this does not detract from its astonishing VPN performance, its high wired performance and that it can also run current Merlin firmware.

Between specifically these two routers, I would still risk the RT-AC86U, because certainly the $50 premium of the AC3100 is not worth it.

Last edited:
I am trying to see the major difference between these 2 models (medium level)
Both are dual bands and throughput difference is very small.
Can someone tell me the noticeable pros one over the other and which is more stable?:confused:

The RT-AC3100 is a great router (see link in my signature below), but it is currently limited by a 32-bit dual-core 1.4GHz CPU with no AES support and even though it has 512MB of RAM it only has 128MB Flash memory and a paltry 128KB of NVRAM.

Using just a few of the Asus/RMerlin features/options greatly limits its usefulness for Gbps ISP connections. It still shines for uses with ISP provided speeds of 500/500 or less, IMO. It is also an older model at this point (2015 model) and any long term future support should not be expected, but will certainly be welcomed.

The RT-AC86U has the same 512MB of RAM, but it is a 1.8GHz 64-bit processor with AES support (much faster VPN speeds), double the flash memory (256MB) and is not limited with only 128KB of NVRAM if I understand correctly.

Reading various reviews and posts on the RT-AC86U, it keeps its speed even with almost all features enabled, so it will be a better candidate for Gbps ISP connections, at least for now.

The stability of the RT-AC3100 has been proven in use for my customers (and my own '3100) for many years now. The stability of the RT-AC86U can match it, but it may take a little work to get there for some (i.e. YMMV).

I am in the market for a new router which can better handle the Gbps I recently received.

The quad-core 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, 256GB flash 'AX' class routers are the hardware I want as a minimum, but the RT-AC86U offers roughly 90% or more of their overall performance for less than half the cost. ;)

The router I would like is similar to what Synology offers with the RT2600ac. If it had 8 antennae/8 streams, AX final firmware, an i3 or better quad-core CPU, 4GB+ of ram and a 256GB+ SSD (m.2 PCI-e) to put some serious hustle in its step and an internal 2x or 3x HDD bays for NAS-like storage up to 6TB+ in RAID1 or 5. All at less than double the current 'AX' price levels of insanity. :)

Until that level of consumer router exists as an option, the RT-AC86U seems to be the best buy for your buck today, at least for Gbps ISP levels of service and for the foreseeable future.

When is the next round of new routers expected? :)

The reviews these days on Amazon are fairly horrific regarding the 2.4 GHz WiFi reliability of the RT-AC86U though. It went from being one of the highest customer satisfaction models to one of the lowest of the mainstream models in about 7 months.

It could be just a batch problem however. Also, this does not detract from its astonishing VPN performance, its high wired performance and that it can also run current Merlin firmware.

Between specifically these two routers, I would still risk the RT-AC86U, because certainly the $50 premium of the AC3100 is not worth it.

I have three AC86Us, two of which are using the 2.4 GHz radio. One has been in operation since January 2018 with no issues. The other using the 2.4 GHz radio has only been in operation for about two months, but so far, so good.

Overall router stability has been fine too. The early FWs seemed to cause crashing, but the FWs since March 2018 have been solid, at least for my usage.

The reviews on Amazon are all but useless. Some folks have experienced some issues but hopefully they have been ironed out by now. If you buy from Amazon and get a bad unit at least its easy to get a replacement. My 86u is currently at 39 days uptime with no issues Still using Merlin 384.9 and waiting for a stable release of 384.10. I don't do beta releases because I lack the knowledge to do any meaningful testing. If you go with the AC86U I don't think you will regret it.

I got my AC-86U up and running and it's working OK with latest firmware.
One thing I noticed is the device list not stable in the Web Interface, it's dropping the numbers up and down (even on my mobile app)
Once I refresh, the list may comeback and drop again. This doesn't affect the actual connection, but it's annoying the interface populated lists
Anyone experience this and any solution? ;)

I got my AC-86U up and running and it's working OK with latest firmware.
One thing I noticed is the device list not stable in the Web Interface, it's dropping the numbers up and down (even on my mobile app)
Once I refresh, the list may comeback and drop again. This doesn't affect the actual connection, but it's annoying the interface populated lists
Anyone experience this and any solution? ;)

We are all waiting for Asus to fix this closed-source issue on their end.

Glad to hear your RT-AC86U is working well for you!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!