What's new

When ejecting HDD from router the HDD doesnt turn off

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StanleeSPUDwowski

Occasional Visitor
I have a WD 3.0 drive connected to my ASUS RT-AC68p router. this esternal drive only has USB connection no power adapter. power runs off the USB so why is it when i eject it form the asus router it does not shut off. i really need it shutdown at night when not being used.
the drive is:

WD - My Passport Ultra 1TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Black

Power and data logic are separate things. Physically connected, it will be powered (that works as intended, imo).

If you leave it connected but do not eject it, will it spin down?

If it spins down fully, you will not be able to feel it when you put your hand on it.

Leave it for 10 minutes or more and see if it goes into spin down mode. But note that not all external drives do for all combinations of routers and settings.

There may be a spin down checkbox in the gui, see if any further settings are possible.

You might want to try it with RMerlin firmware instead. I think it has that option. (But, I don't use the USB features at all).