What's new

When should we consider wifi 6 devices?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Budgeter

Regular Contributor
When is the expected time for commercial devices (laptops, phones, wifi card, etc) fully support wifi 6 features (final draft)? Since this information is rarely disclosed, I can't find anything about it.

WiFi 6 is expected to reach 'final' sometime in September 2020.

Not all devices will support all WiFi 6 features. There is nothing to make that mandatory.

It will simply depend on the specific device.

Considering we're still pre-draft 1 and hardly much of the radio population is even AX-capable, let alone fully functional, I would say this time next year would be optimistic. Most likely into 2021, I would think.

just because wifi 6 comes out soon doesnt mean you should rush out and buy wifi 6. It makes no sense if you only have 1 device that uses it on the network or if wifi AC's practical bandwidth exceeds your internet speeds for your home usage.

However i am pretty impressed with some routers given by ISPs to home users which suit home usage well and they usually come with an entry level version of a new wifi soon after it is out but expect this to come later.

Only buy it when your needs have finally caught up.