What's new

When you FA, you FO. I did.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

neil0311

I know this is anecdotal but started off with 3 AX88U routers in a mesh (router with 2 nodes). They were tweaked based on suggestions found on this forum with the understanding that every environment is different.

I have a 1.5Gb fiber connection but never seemed to ever get full connection speed on 5GHz when running at 160MHz on both the access points and the devices. My speeds were topping out at roughly 500Mbps no matter what. Latency would fluctuate.

Anyway thought one of the nodes had defective hardware and called Asus to troubleshoot and ended up removing that node and resetting the whole thing. Brought it back up with default settings and just the router and one node.

Now I get full speeds. Laptops on AC power with WiFi6/160MHz get 1300 down and 1400 up. My iPhone 12 Pro gets 600-800Mbps. Other devices have better performance as well. I’m also sticking with just two routers in the mesh, the main router in the finished basement and the mesh node on the second floor. The main floor is served by one of the two with lower speeds in one corner of the house where the master bathroom and closets are and high speed isn’t as important.

I am leaving everything on factory default settings. Sometimes if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it. And if it ever “breaks” then a quick factory reset will hopefully bring it all back.

I’m done tweaking.

More people need to understand what FA&FO stands for...the acronym is not exactly obscure, but it's not as "common knowledge" as it should be (IMHO)

More people need to understand what FA&FO stands for...the acronym is not exactly obscure, but it's not as "common knowledge" as it should be (IMHO)
I understand FAFO ... but more worrying is .... "I’m done tweaking."

'Famous last words' ... comes to mind ... another well known phrase.

;) :D