What's new

Where can I find firmware 3.0.0.4.220 for RT-N66U (B1)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Erris

New Around Here
Hi everyone,
I have an ASUS RT-N66U router and I recently updated my firmware from the official 3.0.0.4.220 to the newest offered by ASUS - 3.0.0.4.374.979.

That's when the problems started.
I did reset to factory defaults and re-entered my settings, but now at least once a day my connection slows down considerably. The slowdown lasts for anywhere between 15 mins to about an hour and fixes itself.

I have a 50 Mbps down/10Mbps up connection that usually tests at 57 down 12 up. When a slowdown hits, it can be anywhere from 3Mbps down/ 1 up to 0.8Mbps down/ 0.01 up (according to speedtest.net)

Same thing on WiFi and wired computers. If I plug the computer directly into the modem I get regular speeds.

Modem restart does not fix the issue. Nvram clean does not fix the issue.

So I thought I can revert back to my original firmware (which worked great for over a year) and I went to ASUS's site to just to see all they offer is the last 3 versions (3.0.0.4.276 and up).

Does anyone know if there is a place for me to get the 3.0.0.4.220 firmware from somewhere? I tried searching the web, but could find nothing.

Thanks for any and all help.

I'd suggest trying .276, it'll probably work fine for you. If it doesn't I'd suggest trying RMerlin's SDK5 firmware versions. They work well on the RT-N66U. If you go too far back, you're missing out on security fixes.

Last edited:
I keep a copy of all of the old firmwares. If you want it, PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

Hi Roger,
I tried 276 a couple of months back for about 2 days. My router was losing WiFi connection to the clients intermittently throughout the day. For maybe a minute at a time, then it would come back. I went back to 220 then and the router became rock solid again.

I will try Merlin's Firmware, have it downloaded already, and even a Tomato as last resort.

The funny part is I had my 220 firmware saved and lost it when I formatted the drive less than a week before I upgraded the router firmware. Never expected Asus would stop offering it for download. Heh

Thank you all!
I am giving the latest firmware one last chance - just did a recovery reset (30/30/30 thing), then another factory reset and am running with stock settings and only WiFi passwords applied.

If the problems start again, I will try Merlin's rom as suggested, and if that doesn't work will go back to my tried and tri 220 firmware.

Thank you all and happy holidays!:)

Hi Roger,
I tried 276 a couple of months back for about 2 days. My router was losing WiFi connection to the clients intermittently throughout the day. For maybe a minute at a time, then it would come back. I went back to 220 then and the router became rock solid again.

I will try Merlin's Firmware, have it downloaded already, and even a Tomato as last resort.

The funny part is I had my 220 firmware saved and lost it when I formatted the drive less than a week before I upgraded the router firmware. Never expected Asus would stop offering it for download. Heh

Yes, I thought I still had .220 also, but didn't have it when I looked. I think I tossed it due to new security fixes coming out in the later firmware releases, and decided I didn't need those old releases around anymore.