What's new

Which kind of device do I need?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pinkfloydhomer

New Around Here
I have a Netgear CG3000 DOCSIS router from my ISP that provides 100 Mbps/10 Mbps on my cable tv cable. It is also my only wifi provider in my home. Unfortunately it sucks at wifi, so I want to buy something better for wifi and connect it to the CG3000, and then disable the wifi on the CG3000.

I was looking at something like this: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR1043ND
or this: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=2166&model=TL-WDR4300

But:

1) Do I even need a router, when the CG3000 is already a router? Are there other kinds of devices that I should be looking at?

2) For this purpose, can you recommend some good actual models, routers or otherwise? Top priority is good wifi speed. OpenWRT/DD-WRT support would be a nice-to-have.

Wireless is not the way to go for fast file transfers. What file transfer speeds are you currently getting? What is the link rate that the TP-Link adapter is reporting?

Wireless is not the way to go for fast file transfers. What file transfer speeds are you currently getting? What is the link rate that the TP-Link adapter is reporting?

Typically 130 Mbps, but if I move it closer to the router, I can get 300 Mbps.

Actual file transfer speeds over SMB/CIFS i much slower than 130 Mbps, though. More like 6-7 Mbps real life. I know SMB/CIFS (and TCP etc) has overhead, but still.

Do you think that TL-WR1043ND or TL-WDR4300 would be better at this than the CG3000 is?

Are you sure file transfer it 6-7 Mbits/sec or MBytes/sec?

As long as you are dealing with an N300 router, I don't think throughput will change much.

If you want high file transfer throughput, use Ethernet or try powerline.

Do your file transfer speeds improve when you move the adapter closer to the router and get a 300 Mbps link rate?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!