What's new

Which router and firmware for QoS and multiple SSIDs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SacredKow

New Around Here
Greetings All!

I'm in need of a new router. I previously had the ASUS 500W (USB) running tomato and gave it away to a family member because I was in need of an upgrade. In hindsight I probably should have kept it and given them my new one, it's too cheap and performance is weak (even running DD-WRT now). It's an Asus RT-10+ and the stock firmware is painful.

I like what RMerlin is doing here in keeping the stock but applying sooner fixes and few modifications. It sounds like a very stable firmware. I was looking at the Asus RT-AC66U or the RT-N66U.

My main concern is really stable QoS that I can tie down to specific IPs on my network. The original Tomato version I used to run seemed to handle this quite well. The newer releases of Tomato seem numerous in qty and I can't tell which one is best for QoS.

In my research I stumbled across RMerlin's firmware and it feels more comfortable. In my reading I saw a post about QoS being broken in an Asus release. Searching the Forum today, I can't find that post, or any post pertaining to QoS.

Can someone verify if the current release has QoS fixed? Also, does the multiple SSID capabilities support segmented networking? lastly, any recommendations on the N66U vs the AC66U?

Thanks!
-SK

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online