What's new

Which router for 100mbit Internet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chipped

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys,

I currently have a WNDR3700v1 and RT-N56U. I'm in search of a third wireless router to replace a dead WNDR3700 :(

Problem is, neither the WNDR3700 or RT-N56U can max my Internet, even from right next to them.

Using a MacBook Air 2012 and Retina MacBook Pro 2012, which are both three stream. Have tested at work on an Aruba networks and they get over 20MB/sec (from memory).

I was looking at the AC models, which seem to be a lot stronger even in the 40MHz 5GHz. But they are double the price and still in draft. So I think I'll stay away from them for now.

The Asus RT-N66U is nice, but it's not worth the money IMHO, may as well just get the AC model for an extra $50.

So, what can actually get me 100mbit? I'm looking to spend about $150-$200 max.

Cheers

If you are referring to wireless speed, there are not many routers we've found that can get you over 100 Mbps. And those that do, will provide those speeds only with very strong signals and using 40 Mhz bandwidth.

Given the overcrowding in 2.4 Ghz, that means you will get those speeds in 5 GHz, again, under strong signal conditions, which means same room or maybe next room.

Go to the Router Charts, select a wireless benchmark and set the mode to "Maximum" to look for those products. Here is one such benchmark.

Yeah, I meant wireless speed. I use 5GHz when I can (laptops and iPhone 5).

2.4GHz performance doesn't matter too much, just as long as it has decent performance over a good range.

I think I might end up getting another RT-N56U. It seems to perform very well, despite being 2 stream. Perhaps you have a better recommendation in the same price range?

Disregarding price, do you think the EA3500 is a better performing wireless router than the RT-N56U? It will just be functioning as an access point and switch only.

Well, the EA3500 turned out to be average. Doing a copy from my gigabit Mac server to my MacBook Pro (3 stream 5GHz) now does 10MB/sec. WNDR3700v1 did 11MB/sec.

With the EA3500 literally on top or next to my MacBook I got 16MB/sec.

I expected more... Oh well. Hopefully 802.11ac will be better. I'll get one when the MacBooks support it.

Huzzah!! I did a bodge job and stuck my EA3500 directly onto the double brick wall and speed is now 13MB/sec.

Amazing that half a foot can make a big difference. It was previously on a shelf directly next to the double brick wall.

if you frequently move very large files in the LAN (not the internet), then plug-in and use wired!!