What's new

Which router should. I buy for Xbox with open NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lethasniper007

Regular Contributor
Need a router that will support 2 Xbox 360 and a Xbox one with open NAT right out o the box I was looking a netgear nighthawk and some of Asus routers any help please and thank you. One Xbox 360 will be wired and the other 2 Xbox systems will be wireless

The Netgear Nighthawk R7500 X4 has a design point that supposedly lowers latency specifically with gaming in mind. It also has a dynamic QOS that functions by looking at both devices and applications. So for example an X360 playing a movie will get lower priority then the X360 playing a game.

Regarding your open NAT not sure what you are asking. Setting up the router with your consoles will not require any manual setup short of the basic router setup. Connecting to your ISP, setting wifi SSID and security to what you want etc. The routers are otherwise ready to go.

The Dynamic QOS will be rolled out to the other Nighthawk routers in Q1 2015. Not certain it will work exactly the same but my guess is it will be close.

Again I want to make the point that in regards to gaming Netgear believes the R7500 is the best router to get.

Bob Silver
Netgear Consultant

The Netgear Nighthawk R7500 X4 has a design point that supposedly lowers latency specifically with gaming in mind. It also has a dynamic QOS that functions by looking at both devices and applications. So for example an X360 playing a movie will get lower priority then the X360 playing a game.

Regarding your open NAT not sure what you are asking. Setting up the router with your consoles will not require any manual setup short of the basic router setup. Connecting to your ISP, setting wifi SSID and security to what you want etc. The routers are otherwise ready to go.

The Dynamic QOS will be rolled out to the other Nighthawk routers in Q1 2015. Not certain it will work exactly the same but my guess is it will be close.

Again I want to make the point that in regards to gaming Netgear believes the R7500 is the best router to get.

Bob Silver
Netgear Consultant

Hi Bob,

You really didn't answer the OP's question about uPNP and NAT's - and that's fair, as this is more of an xBox problem than a router problem, as MSFT never really considered folks having more than just one xBox behind a SOHO router.

To the OP - it depends on the game - so you really need to reach out to Microsoft and to the Game Vendors - Some do support a range of ports behind a NAT, some don't.

For those that do, most will have the port ranges that can be used, and then you'll need to map them out in your port forwarding tables, and probably assign static IP's to the consoles (or DHCP static assignments for routers that support that feature).

sfx