What's new

Which wifi router replacement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Meguinness

New Around Here
hi guys wonder if you can help me....
i just replaced my old Dlink DIR615 with a Nighthawk R7000 .
i must say the R7000 was a bit of pain when it comes to wifi range,i was forced to downgrade the firmware to have the signal reaching the first floor rooms (small three bedroom house with wooden and plaster walls and flooring).
Has anyone moved from a R7000 to a Asus router and noticed a overall improvement in performance and range?what model?
Currently the wired network gives me download speeds from my NAS of about 55mbs ,on wifi and 5ghz about 22mbs and on 2.4ghz about 10mbs ,all this from a distance of 7 metres away from the router in strait line of sight .
5ghz hardly working on the first floor so reverting to 2.4ghz.
Are those readings what i should expect from a modern router? what asus model would have a better range?
thanx

I went from an R7000 to an AC88U, and now AC86U. I am pleased with the move to the newer devices.
I keep the R7000 to use as an AP for the backyard, during the summer months.

The r7000 is about as good as it gets as far as Wi-Fi range except maybe the r7800.
I currently have an r7800, rt-ac68u B2, r8000. I’ve had an rt-ac88u and an rt-ac86u. None were really any better than the r7000 as far as Wi-Fi range.

The reviews here pretty much reflect that if I’m not mistaken.

Either way, it should blow the dir-615, which I also had, out of the water.

Pick the least used of channel 1, 6 or 11. 20mhz width on the 2.4ghz. For the 5ghz, it’s best to use the upper channels.