What's new

Which WRT 5 mesh node for RT-AX88U Pro?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Perpend1cular

New Around Here
New poster, long time lurker.
I first want to thank everyone here for many hours of excellent reading and advice.

I’ve just installed an AX88U Pro as replacement for a GT-AC5300 as main router for our Aimesh system with two AX92U as nodes with wired backhaul.
The result is that 5G coverage and speed is worse with Aimesh than with just the main router in some rooms. I guess it’s an effect of the nodes hiding/reserving the ax-band for wireless backhaul.
As I understand it from a number of initiated posts by @leerees, @Tech9 and others, sadly it isn’t possible to unlock and use that band.
I realise that I need to start looking for a replacement for the two AX92U and with Black Friday coming up I’d like to decide on which router to get.

I really would like to use the WRT 5 stuff like grouping IoT and other clients with separate VLAN.
Form factor is sort of important since both AX92U are built in, I know there’s no casing to match the 6x6” but some ASUS stuff are really humungous.

Question:
Are the AX88U Pro and the AX86U Pro close enough in HW to minimize potential Aimesh problems?
Is GT-AX6000 an alternative?

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!