What's new

Why does adding AiMesh node via ethernet backhaul require close proximity

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johno

Regular Contributor
I've just acquired an AX router (AX-92U) to add to my existing AiMesh and whilst it's found by the main router (an AX-86U) in the AiMesh setup, it can't be added as a node because apparently it needs to be 2-3 metres from the root mesh node. I have the AX-92U connected via an ethernet cable from an unmanaged switch. I've found in the past that new nodes need to be close to the root node when adding, even if wired backhaul, but why is this?

I've just acquired an AX router (AX-92U) to add to my existing AiMesh and whilst it's found by the main router (an AX-86U) in the AiMesh setup, it can't be added as a node because apparently it needs to be 2-3 metres from the root mesh node. I have the AX-92U connected via an ethernet cable from an unmanaged switch. I've found in the past that new nodes need to be close to the root node when adding, even if wired backhaul, but why is this?
May be the version of firmware on the node. Then again, maybe not. Could have something to do with WPS which is active in the node add cycle. Some things are hard to explain but if following the instructions works, just do it. With that said, my mesh node is Ethernet connected directly to the router, router LAN port to node WAN port, and I can remove it and add it back with no issues.

May be the version of firmware on the node. Then again, maybe not. Could have something to do with WPS which is active in the node add cycle. Some things are hard to explain but if following the instructions works, just do it. With that said, my mesh node is Ethernet connected directly to the router, router LAN port to node WAN port, and I can remove it and add it back with no issues.
Yes, same here, it's just the inital "add node" process that seems to require close proximity and (hence I'm guessing) the wireless connection.

I've found in the past that new nodes need to be close to the root node when adding, even if wired backhaul, but why is this?

Not a requirement, especially when wired... especially since it is found. Typically something else is getting in the way. Try a different wire and without the intervening switch.

I am able to add wired and wireless nodes at 77 ft.

OE

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!