What's new

Why is client speed reported in network map wrong?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bradbort

I’m noticing that the client speeds reported in the network map often overstate the RX/TX speed that is being achieved with wifi adapters.

Am I misunderstanding what those numbers mean? Should it not be telling me the actual communications speed between the client and router?

I’m using an 88U, with M’s latest alpha build.

I’m not talking about minor variations, but things like RX speeds in the map showing 875, and actually being less than 10.

Well, I was noticing that one of my clients (in the basement) seemed sluggish, despite the fact that the network map was showing high speeds, so I ran an ISP speed check, and found that I was only getting 8, instead of the 150 I normally expect. When I did the same test on other clients that were closer the the router, they were showing the full 150 with the speed test. So, realistically, I don’t know that any of them are achieving the full speed listed in the map, but I can see one which the map claims is getting almost a gig, and only delivering a small fraction of that

Can you explain that a bit? I would think if the link speed was good, that the throughput would be good...

Just to make this real, why would I see link speeds approaching a gig, but only have throughput of 8M for my browsers? Could it be a problem with the usb 3 interface I’m using to interface with wifi? When I use a powerline adapter, speed increases to about 80 for the same tasks...still not where I want to be, but bearable....

Link speed and actual throughput are two completely different things.
OK, I'm getting closer to a solution.

I just tested the internal wifi card in my distant basement computer. While the reported link speed is only about 600, when I run the speed test, I'm getting full speed (over 150 on RCN), as opposed to less than 10 with external wifi usb 3 adapters. I think the actual esternal link speed really is far higher than the internal card, but somehow, running things through my usb 3 ports is significantly degrading performance. Very strange, but likely off topic for a router discussion group, so I'll stop posting.

It could be the USB port or just the WiFi device itself. Have you confirmed that these "slow" clients are connecting via 5GHz or 2.4GHz? Based on your first post of the link speed showing at 875, I assume they are connecting at 5GHz...but just wanted to confirm. This will unfortunately probably turn into a fun game of changing USB ports, checking drivers, in an attempt to isolate the issue since you have confirmed other clients on the same SSID are not having the same speed challenges.

It could be the USB port or just the WiFi device itself. Have you confirmed that these "slow" clients are connecting via 5GHz or 2.4GHz? Based on your first post of the link speed showing at 875, I assume they are connecting at 5GHz...but just wanted to confirm. This will unfortunately probably turn into a fun game of changing USB ports, checking drivers, in an attempt to isolate the issue since you have confirmed other clients on the same SSID are not having the same speed challenges.

Thanks! Yes, I’m pretty much convinced its the USB ports, since I tried another spare wifi USB 3 adapter and had the same problem. I’m wondering if the new windows creator update could be to blame.

Regardless, the speed I’m getting with the internal card is good enough at the moment. I may try another USB adapter that sits in a pcie slot, but it’s not urgent. I really was mostly confused about why the link speed was so much faster than the measured speed, and I think in this case, it is because the link speed is measured from the USB adapter itself, and the download speed is getting choked by the driver/usb port on the PC

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online