What's new

Why is the RT-AX86U more expensive than the AX88U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

remsta

New Around Here
So I have a 10gigabit Fiber connection at home and want to take advantage of it. I currently have the RT-AX86U and have just bought a RT-AX88U Pro (AX6000) because I want to take advantage of the 2x 2.5Gb port considering having one for wan is kind of useless if you don't have a2.5g port for LAN (86U).

I have just seen that the 86U is still almost $100 more expensive despite having worse specs for the whole router. Can someone tell me why this is? The 88U Pro seems to be a superior router in every way.

Edit: and I just saw that the GT-AX6000 is even cheaper... what is happening?!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hmm, that Swiss website is displaying a non-Pro version of the RT-AX88U (which has 8 LAN ports, and which I own).
The mouse-over popup "i" next to the "2500 Mbps" Max port speed also shows: "Describes the maximum data transfer rate. Is not necessarily supported by all ports."

I am looking at the US spec at https://www.asus.com/us/networking-...rs/asus-gaming-routers/rt-ax88u-pro/techspec/
shows :

I/O Ports
RJ45 for 2.5 Gigabits BaseT for WAN x 1,
RJ45 for 2.5 Gigabits BaseT for LAN x 1,
RJ45 for Gigabits BaseT for LAN x 4,
USB 3.2 Gen 1 x 1

E.g.: only 1 2.5G port for LAN.
And there is NO mention of POE - unlike that swiss website claiming it supports POE on 5 LAN ports.

Could there indeed be such serious differences between regional specs of this router?
This seems more like inaccurate information...

what is happening?!

Some websites are trying to sell RT-AX86U model on high price. It's discontinued, $150 or less second hand around here. Look at RT-AX86U Pro instead. This is the current updated hardware version of this router (plus Asuswrt 5.0 support) and it's usually cheaper than RT-AX88U Pro and GT-AX6000.

Some websites are trying to sell RT-AX86U model on high price. It's discontinued, $150 or less second hand around here. Look at RT-AX86U Pro instead. This is the current updated hardware version of this router (plus Asuswrt 5.0 support) and it's usually cheaper than RT-AX88U Pro and GT-AX6000.
Yeah, it is very confusing because the tech specs show that it has 2x 2.5g ports but the image shows the non-pro version with the large amount of ethernet ports. Then they also have a gaming version of the pro... so I am very confused. Then when you look under details at the Manuf. Model: 90IG0820-MO3A00, on the Asus site its the one with 2x 2.5g ports, so the website must be wrong.

But that brings me back to the AX86U (non-pro) which I have at the moment. Why would it be on special at a much higher price? I just want to make sure that the RT-AX88U Pro is actually an upgrade and I am not missing something.

But again the RT-AX86U only has one 2.5g port which makes it an inferior product to the RT-AX88U Pro...

Amazon.de now has the Asus TUF Gaming AX6000 on sale for 147.00, less than the RT-AX88U Pro, which is 214.-, Is the TUF gaming even more of a premium router?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-16 at 10.05.27.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-16 at 10.05.27.png
    178.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Seems like the RT-AX88U Pro also supports AsusWRT 5? or is WRT and Merlin not the same thing?

Seems like the RT-AX88U Pro also supports AsusWRT 5? or is WRT and Merlin not the same thing?
Asus-Merlin is a alternative customized version of ASUSWRT firmware. See the other discussions on the ASUSWRT 5.0 (3.0.0.6.x firmware) being rolled into the Asus-Merlin firmware.
Asus has their own page for ASUSWRT 5.0.

Right now Asus-Merlin 3006.102.x firmware only supports a couple of routers at this time; the GT-BE96U and GT-BE98_PRO. And the Gnuton fork 3006.102.x of Asus-Merlin supports the GT-BE98. It is assumed that other routers will eventually be supported once Asus releases the GPL's for them to Rmerlin, but there is no firm timeline apparently on exactly when or if we'll see other WRT5.0 supported routers added.

For now if you need WRT5.0 support on the RT-AX88U Pro then use the stock Asus 3.0.0.6.102_33308 firmware.

Last edited:
Asus-Merlin is a alternative customized version of ASUSWRT firmware. See the other discussions on the ASUSWRT 5.0 (3.0.0.6.x firmware) being rolled into the Asus-Merlin firmware.
Asus has their own page for ASUSWRT 5.0.

Right now Asus-Merlin 3006.102.x firmware only supports a couple of routers at this time; the GT-BE96U and GT-BE98_PRO. And the Gnuton fork 3006.102.x of Asus-Merlin supports the GT-BE98. It is assumed that other routers will eventually be supported once Asus releases the GPL's for them to Rmerlin, but there is no firm timeline apparently on exactly when or if we'll see other WRT5.0 supported routers added.

For now if you need WRT5.0 support on the RT-AX88U Pro then use the stock Asus 3.0.0.6.102_33308 firmware.
Thank you, so what is the main difference between the normal firmware and the ASUSWRT 5.0... I can't seem to find that info..

Main difference - Asuswrt 5.0 has user configurable VLANs support in GUI and introduces a new Guest Network Pro based on VLANs.

MLO is hardware specific though, not firmware. Just running Asuswrt 5.0 won't give the user MLO.

MLO is hardware specific though, not firmware. Just running Asuswrt 5.0 won't give the user MLO.
From the Asus WiFi 7 MLO link...
MLO supported models:
ASUS Wi-Fi 7 series, with firmware version later than xxxxxx.
ModelFirmware version
GT-BE963.0.0.6.102_33844
RT-BE96U3.0.0.6.102_34488
GT-BE983.0.0.6.102_34372
GT-BE98 Pro3.0.0.6.102_34491

Yes, hardware specific. EBR63 runs 3.0.0.6.102_44545 and doesn't have MLO. All of the above Wi-Fi 7 models were released with somewhat working firmware and now Asus is adding missing bits and pieces. The beta testing period. Unrelated to Asuswrt 5.0 in particular.

Thank you, so the RT-AX88U Pro doesn't have Wifi 7 and it is showing the latest firmware as FW_RT_AX88U_PRO_300610233308, is that WRT5? Is WRT5 a separate software or just the stock one?

Because I log in after and don't see this interface
Screenshot 2024-08-17 at 10.23.16.png

Thank you, so the RT-AX88U Pro doesn't have Wifi 7 and it is showing the latest firmware as FW_RT_AX88U_PRO_300610233308, is that WRT5? Is WRT5 a separate software or just the stock one?

Because I log in after and don't see this interface
Did you notice the fine print under that image from the WRT5.0 page that you posted?
Dashboard is now available on ExpertWiFi only, more models will come later.
The ExpertWiFi supported models have a different WiFi5.0 GUI interface.

The 3.0.0.6.x firmware has the VLAN and Guest Network Pro features.
PS: The RT-AX88U Pro had the new WRT5.0 features added to the stable 3.0.0.6.102 firmware starting on 2023/06/20 with stable firmware 3.0.0.6.102_21514.
Version 3.0.0.6.102_21514 66.97 MB 2023/06/20
New features for ASUSWRT 5.0
-Kids' Wi-Fi: Create a separate network specifically for children, complete with scheduled controls. This is suitable for children who use multiple network devices that have enabled the randomized MAC address function and are not easily recognized.
-VPN WiFi: Create a VPN network that connects to 3rd party VPN services or with ASUS site to site -VPN(https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1048281/) to encrypts your internet connection and hides your IP address to protect your online activities from being tracked or monitored.
-IoT WiFi : Create an 2.4G spearate network for IoT (Internet of Things) devices.
Guest WiFi: Create a guest network with a WiFi schedule and access rights to control when and how guests can use the network.
-VLAN, allow you to segment a network into smaller, virtual sub-networks, which can be used to isolate traffic, please refer to https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1049415/
-Multi-services WAN, create multiple profiles on a single WAN interface. (https://rog.asus.com/au/support/FAQ/1050072)
-Port isolation and AP isolation to restrict device access to each other.

Bug Fixes and Enhancements
-NowTV profile has been added under new IPTV profiles.
-IPTV settings have been updated for better compatibility with Unifi Biz VoIP service.
-Fixed a GUI bug that occurred when adding port range rules in the Network Service Filter.
-Resolved an issue that caused hostname errors in the DDNS service.

Security Fixes
-Fixed several curl vulnerabilities including CVE-2023-28322, CVE-2023-28321, and CVE-2023-28319.
-Fixed FFmpeg vulnerabilities, specifically CVE-2022-3964, CVE-2022-48434, and CVE-2022-3109.
-Corrected an OpenVPN vulnerability categorized as CWE-134.
-Fixed the Hostap vulnerability CVE-2019-10064.
-Patched a command injection vulnerability to improve overall security.
-Strengthened protection against SSH brute force attacks.

Attachments

• ASUSWRT5.0_Dashboard.jpg
    ASUSWRT5.0_Dashboard.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Because I log in after and don't see this interfaceView attachment 60996

AX routers are WiFi6/6e and do not support newer WiFi7 features.

OEM ASUS stock/factory firmware is ASUSWRT. Releases are version 3.0.0.* BETA releases are version 9.0.0.*

ASUSWRT 5.0 is version 3.0.0.6.* and only runs on Pro (consumer) and ExpertWiFi (~so-called small business) models.

The webUI image you post is the ExpertWiFi admin skin, only on ExpertWiFi models.

I don't know what WRT5.0 stands for. Where did you see it used?

OE

Last edited:
Amazon.de now has the Asus TUF Gaming AX6000 on sale for 147.00, less than the RT-AX88U Pro, which is 214.-, Is the TUF gaming even more of a premium router?
When flashed with openwrt, yes. IMHO, there is no other better consumer router for the price. 23.05.4 stable works and so does snapshots. All the features people are waiting for with 3.0.0.6 / WRT 5.0 is available with openwrt today.