What's new

WiFi 6 router optimization guide

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rob Q

Is there such thing around here as an optimization guide for my new WiFi 6 router? I've seen a few guides on this site floating around awhile ago for the older WiFi 5 models but with newer technology, there's more new settings to play with.
What I'm going for is range with speed on the 2.4 GHz band where the signal is low for the 5 GHz band, and max speed with some range on the 5 GHz band for those near by devices. Most of my devices are still from the WiFi 5 era, so the 802.11ax and WPA3 features won't work with them.

1729008548343.png
1729008585430.png

1729008634236.png
1729008671427.png

Every situation is different. What works for one may not work for others. WPA3 and WPA2 will run side-by-side.
What is your environment like (especially other wifi signals)? What is your use case? Are you expeiencing any problems?

Every situation is different. What works for one may not work for others. WPA3 and WPA2 will run side-by-side.
What is your environment like (especially other wifi signals)? What is your use case? Are you expeiencing any problems?
In the weakest area, it's more connectivity issues. For example, on the laptop using WiFi, it just "spins" while connecting to sites. Not all the time though.
I know I should use a MoCA adapter to get the coax port to act as an ethernet port, and then put an access point with the ethernet backhaul, but I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve purchasing anything... just yet.
I suppose I could disable beamforming to balance the signal out. Maybe that'll help and be a good starting point?

PS. Not networking related but.... nice conure display pic! Is she a green-cheek or yellow-sided green-cheeked conure? Hard to tell.

Be interesting what the experts say, but here is where my 5GHz settings differ (other than wifi channel and bandwidths):
Protected Management Frames: Capable
Multi-User MIMO: Disable
OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO: Disable
Universal Beamforming: Disable

Is there such thing around here as an optimization guide for my new WiFi 6 router? I've seen a few guides on this site floating around awhile ago for the older WiFi 5 models but with newer technology, there's more new settings to play with.
What I'm going for is range with speed on the 2.4 GHz band where the signal is low for the 5 GHz band, and max speed with some range on the 5 GHz band for those near by devices. Most of my devices are still from the WiFi 5 era, so the 802.11ax and WPA3 features won't work with them.

View attachment 61950View attachment 61951
View attachment 61952View attachment 61953

@Tech9 put up this guide (example) some some time ago.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!