What's new

WiFi adapter help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IBIubbleTea

New Around Here
Just I'm in the market for a new Wireless adapter as I'm unable to use my Mpcie combo II. At first I bought the ASUS USB-N53, after a month of use I returned it as I was having ping spikes, bad signal and such. Today I bought the USB-AC56 and it is so much better, I was wondering if I should return it and buy the PCE-AC68 as I want a more future proof and kind of the best of the best. I plan on moving my computer farther away from the router so that 3 antennas that the AC68 have would be more useful. At the moment my computer is down in the basement and my router is upstairs, the signal is going through about 2-3 walls made of wood, I think...

Thanks.

Just I'm in the market for a new Wireless adapter as I'm unable to use my Mpcie combo II. At first I bought the ASUS USB-N53, after a month of use I returned it as I was having ping spikes, bad signal and such. Today I bought the USB-AC56 and it is so much better, I was wondering if I should return it and buy the PCE-AC68 as I want a more future proof and kind of the best of the best. I plan on moving my computer farther away from the router so that 3 antennas that the AC68 have would be more useful. At the moment my computer is down in the basement and my router is upstairs, the signal is going through about 2-3 walls made of wood, I think...

Thanks.

PCE-AC68 would definitely be a huge upgrade in range due to having higher TX power and antenna gain. You'll also have higher throughput at any given range due to 3 802.11ac streams. $100 is too steep for me though but if you wanted a 2x2 version, you can get the ASUS PCE-AC56 which should give better range and speed than its USB version for $75. Or if you are budget concerned, you can get the Intel 7260AC for desktop with Bluetooth 4.0 as a bonus. BTW, Intel WiFi cards have the best range of all mini pcie cards on the market. I'm very confident that Intel 7260 for desktop (not the regular laptop version) will beat your USB AC56 in range.

PCE-AC68 would definitely be a huge upgrade in range due to having higher TX power and antenna gain. You'll also have higher throughput at any given range due to 3 802.11ac streams. $100 is too steep for me though but if you wanted a 2x2 version, you can get the ASUS PCE-AC56 which should give better range and speed than its USB version for $75. Or if you are budget concerned, you can get the Intel 7260AC for desktop with Bluetooth 4.0 as a bonus. BTW, Intel WiFi cards have the best range of all mini pcie cards on the market. I'm very confident that Intel 7260 for desktop (not the regular laptop version) will beat your USB AC56 in range.

I was looking at the Intel one but i don't really know where to put it on my motherboard as it doesn't have minipcie slot, My motherboard is the ASUS maximus VI formula.

I'm not sure if the PCE-AC68 would work with Windows 8.1 as they don't have drivers for it yet....

I was looking at the Intel one but i don't really know where to put it on my motherboard as it doesn't have minipcie slot, My motherboard is the ASUS maximus VI formula.

I'm not sure if the PCE-AC68 would work with Windows 8.1 as they don't have drivers for it yet....

The Intel 7260 for desktop is Intel 7260 mini pcie with PCI-E x1 adapter + antenna included. See the page here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...wireless-ac-7260-bluetooth-desktop-brief.html

If you're buying the regular 7260AC, you'll only get the mini-pcie card only. No antennas, no mini-pcie to pcie-x1 adapter.

Buying the one that says "for desktop" includes the mini-pcie to pcie-x1 adapter plus the antennas.

If you're into the fastest, best and one of the most expensive pci-e x1 WiFi adapter, get the ASUS PCE-AC68.

They have the drivers for Windows 8.1 here: http://www.asus.com/Networking/PCEAC68/HelpDesk_Download/

The Intel 7260 for desktop is Intel 7260 mini pcie with PCI-E x1 adapter + antenna included. See the page here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...wireless-ac-7260-bluetooth-desktop-brief.html

If you're buying the regular 7260AC, you'll only get the mini-pcie card only. No antennas, no mini-pcie to pcie-x1 adapter.

Buying the one that says "for desktop" includes the mini-pcie to pcie-x1 adapter plus the antennas.

If you're into the fastest, best and one of the most expensive pci-e x1 WiFi adapter, get the ASUS PCE-AC68.

They have the drivers for Windows 8.1 here: http://www.asus.com/Networking/PCEAC68/HelpDesk_Download/

So I recived my AC68 today and I have this annoying noise or sound when I'm using my internet, watching a video, gaming and such.. Do you know whats going on?

So I recived my AC68 today and I have this annoying noise or sound when I'm using my internet, watching a video, gaming and such.. Do you know whats going on?

That's not normal. I suggest to replace. That noise is from coil / semiconductor noise which maybe an indication of poor build. Note that AC68 or any other brand new router must not have coil noise. It would be understandable if the router is 5+ years old

See this thread here: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Internet_Router_has_a_high_pitch_sound

That's not normal. I suggest to replace. That noise is from coil / semiconductor noise which maybe an indication of poor build. Note that AC68 or any other brand new router must not have coil noise. It would be understandable if the router is 5+ years old

See this thread here: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Internet_Router_has_a_high_pitch_sound
Coming from PC's speakers?

USB WiFi adapters... I've used a USB extension cord cable so that the USB WiFi dongle can be elevated and more in the clear. This also can move the dongle away from speaker wires.

Coming from PC's speakers?

USB WiFi adapters... I've used a USB extension cord cable so that the USB WiFi dongle can be elevated and more in the clear. This also can move the dongle away from speaker wires.

Coming from the PCE-AC68, Kind of like a old harddrive in use sound, kind of hard to describe.

How loud is the sound? I know that most of the latest Broadcom chips have this annoying, but faint sort of sreech/scratching(maybe even grinding) sound when its wireless is active and you're close enough to it. I guess the sound could even be described as "fuzzyness." There was talk about it a little bit in some other thread.

Sitting about 75cm away from my computer, I can still heard it, I wouldnt say its loud or quiet, just in the middle, It sounds different from everything else.

Edit, It sounds fuzzy

Coming from the PCE-AC68, Kind of like a old harddrive in use sound, kind of hard to describe.

it's electrical noise off the PCI-e base AC68 card - you're getting bleed over into your sound card/on-board audio chipset...

I know that Asus has had some issues with performance on this card - wonder how well it's shielded...

This is why I normally recommend to get USB devices for desktops, to get the radio away from the PC's RF environment...

sfx

Hi,
Shield may not be enough, choking(ferrite beads) has to be
implemented as well. Shielding is for EMF leakage(radiation)
Choking is to stop EMF riding on conductors by capacitive or inductive stray coupling. Installing chokes at right spot does
wonders. Can see this effect in audio or guitar amps. Often
sliding over couple proper ferrite cores cure this problem. like
hearing radio stations when trying to play guitar thru amp.