What's new

Wifi for a three floor building

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hiro

New Around Here
Hi, I have constant troubles with my Wifi and need some advice for a better solution.

I’m currently running an RT-AX86U non-pro, a RP-AX58 (wireless backhaul) as a mesh system and a 5G Router in bridge mode. I’ll get optic fibre next year.

I have two floors and a cellar, and I need Wifi everywhere. Every floor has about 70 sqm (750sqf). There are reenforced concrete ceilings and brick walls. I’m planning to use ethernet backhaul in the future.

One day everything works fine the next day some devices can’t connect or connect and don’t get internet. Restarting the router helps but the problem comes back soon. Only resetting and setting up everything new again helps for a few weeks.

There are about 20 devices connected via Wifi, a printer and a USB-Storage.

I guess the RP-AX58 Extender is the bad apple here. I was planning to buy another RT-AX86U but then I read here, that it won’t get any updates soon. I don’t want to buy another one if it’s EOL in the near future.

Can I pair the RT-AX86U Pro with my existing non-pro model for now or do I need a whole new system?

What would be a good future proof setup for my house? I don’t want to spend more than €500.

i would invest in running ethernet cables from a central location for a wiring closet/rack first .
If you happen to have 75 ohm coax already in place where you need ethernet, you could look at MOCA.

Some IOT and devices cannot deal well with wifi channel changes. So pick channels on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and change from automatic. Set channel width to 20 or 20/40 on 2.4GHz and 80 on 5GHz. It may also help to assign them static addresses (reserved) in the router and manually set the TCP/AP address in the device. i assume you are on TCP/IP v4 and not v6.

Thanks, I wasen't aware of MOCA I have indeed unused coax in some rooms.

I already use fixed channels and 20 MHz on 2.4GHz and 80 on 5GHz.
Yes, I'm on v4. I'll try static IP adresses.

For MOCA, it is best if the cable is isolated from other use - cable TV service or internet service (DOCCIS 3.1).
Also, the coax must have 75 ohm impedence as that is what the moca modems are designed for. Should be printed or embossed on the cable jacket. RG-59 or RG6 are the common US types. Any splitters in the moca signal path usually have to be certified for moca 2 . Satellite and traditional TV splitters usually don't work.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!