What's new

Wifi for an event with local website

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paelzersebbi

New Around Here
Hey,

we're going to host a small private event (board game tournament) for 30-40 people and we want to provide wifi for them to access event's website.

Since there won't be any Internet access available, I thought about hosting the website locally on a Xampp or Mamp server.

However, I considered two options how people can get to the website after they connected to the wifi:

they could be redirected automatically after they connected to the wifi
- or -
the enter "boardgametournament" into their browser (just like I enter "localhost" on my machine) and they land on the website

Either way, I don't know how to set up any of both options and I wonder if anyone could help me, please.

I would really appreciate it.

I really don't want to annoy people with entering IPs and Ports to reach the page... If that is possible. By the way, I am using a MAC so the solution should be compatible with that.

Thanks so much!

why not use Celllular LTE for internet access?
And a router with support for a USB cellular modem such as a Cradlepoint MBR95.

The Location usually doesn't have any Signal and since it is a non-commercial Event, my Budget doesn't allow Buying any hardware. And i'm from Germany, which means that LTE is only available on a 2year contract... And as I said, we're Lucky if there will be any cell signal Inside the Location.

Therefore, I'd like to stick with the solution I proposed.