What's new

WIFI indoor antenna recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JoeA

New Around Here
I'm moving to an apartment (old brick building) with a library 4 blocks away. I'd like to connect to the library's free WIFI. The apartment windows do not face the direction of the library.

I don't think my laptop will find the signal very well, so I'm wondering what my options are in order to have a good connection.

I was looking at the "Mini Yagi Antenna Wireless 2.4ghz".

Would something like this be a good solution? Would it still work if I didn't have a clear path at the library (let's say there are 10 apartment units in the way) before clearing the building.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
I'm moving to an apartment (old brick building) with a library 4 blocks away. I'd like to connect to the library's free WIFI. The apartment windows do not face the direction of the library.

I don't think my laptop will find the signal very well, so I'm wondering what my options are in order to have a good connection.

I was looking at the "Mini Yagi Antenna Wireless 2.4ghz" seen here https://www.innovativedevice.com/pages/MiniYagiUSBPage.html

Would something like this be a good solution? Would it still work if I didn't have a clear path at the library (let's say there are 10 apartment units in the way) before clearing the building.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe

I can pickup Free Wi-Fi also on a good day. Depends on strong the signal is? What can you get now with your wireless laptop. Software like inSSIDer (free) can give you idea if you can receive the signal channel in RSSI. The lower the number the stronger the signal. Another one is called Xrrius Wireless Inspector that uses a radar type scope.

I installed inSSIDer and ran it while standing outside my soon-to-be apartment door (which is inside the building) on the 2nd floor. It didn't locate the library Wi-Fi, but it located 8 secure access points ranging in RSSI from -63 to -79 using RSNA-CCMP or WEP. It also located 2 free Wi-Fi coffee shops with RSSI of -92 and -99.

One of the coffee shops is in the next building. From inside the shop the RSSI is -49. When I step outside the shop (15 feet away) the RSSI is -80. The window of my apartment will face the building of the shop. However, the shop is in the basement (off to one side) and my apartment is on the 2nd floor. I'm wondering if a Yagi antenna pointed downwards at an angle from my window would work.

BTW, my laptop has a Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter. Could a better wireless card help?

What do you think about antennas? Is a Yagi the way to go, or is there something better?

Would a signal booster help? Any recommendations?

Joe

I installed inSSIDer and ran it while standing outside my soon-to-be apartment door (which is inside the building) on the 2nd floor. It didn't locate the library Wi-Fi, but it located 8 secure access points ranging in RSSI from -63 to -79 using RSNA-CCMP or WEP. It also located 2 free Wi-Fi coffee shops with RSSI of -92 and -99.

One of the coffee shops is in the next building. From inside the shop the RSSI is -49. When I step outside the shop (15 feet away) the RSSI is -80. The window of my apartment will face the building of the shop. However, the shop is in the basement (off to one side) and my apartment is on the 2nd floor. I'm wondering if a Yagi antenna pointed downwards at an angle from my window would work.

BTW, my laptop has a Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter. Could a better wireless card help?

What do you think about antennas? Is a Yagi the way to go, or is there something better?

Would a signal booster help? Any recommendations?

Joe

They have a kit http://www.keenansystems.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=307 for inSSIDER cost $57 bucks it's 200mW with 7dbi booster. I don't know if that would help you out. It's suppose to pick up more than what you can with your wireless laptop. RSSi the lower the number the better the signal. -0 on target, -22 is really good. -40 is good. When you go down below -50 to -60 not bad. -70, -80, -90 -100 these are out of your area.

How far are you from the roof? You could put something up there if you're allowed then run the cable down to your soon to be APT. How much does it cost to have internet access?

One of these antennas might work for my needs

Either the EnGenius EUB9603H on a laptop, or the TP-Link TL-ANT2408CL on the router might extend my wifi LAN to meet my needs. The latter costs less and would probably be more convenient, but it uses the R-SMA connector, whereas my Linksys WRT54G uses the R-TNC connector. I could probably find a converter for that.

Would one of these extend range effectively, or would I need to upgrade the antenna at both ends?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!