What's new

wifi - lan - wifi; slow internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Balazs

New Around Here
Hi Everybody,

I just joined the forum. I have a weird networking problem, and I've been looking for a solution for quite a while - so far without luck. I hope you guys can give me a hint.

So in short: on my wlan only the internet is slow, other trafic (ftp between clients) is ok. There is some more details, read on.

There are two houses. House1 has the internet on a hotspot. House2 is connected via wifi. The wifi router in house2 is connected to another router (also in house2) via lan. The router-2 serves as an AP and broadcasts the net over house2.

Here is the layout:

Hotspot
|
|
wifi (WDS)
|
|
Router-1 -------Client-1
|
|
lan/utp
|
|
Router-2--------Client-2

The internet is fibre optic, quite fast (~70 Mbbs DL, ~7 Mbbs UL).

The connection between HS and R1 is via WDS wifi at 2.4 GHz, CH1, 'n', ht 20 MHz. Internet speeds at Cl1: ~13 Mbbs DL, ~7Mbbs UL. R1-Cl1 connection can be either via utp or wifi. There is no significant speed difference, with wifi it is slightly slower, but it's still ok. HS-R1 is a bottleneck, but considering the distance between the houses I would be happy with these speeds.

The internet speed at Cl2 is however much slower: ~2.5 Mbbs DL, ~7Mbbs UL. Only slow for download though, uploading is still pretty much ok. (wifi 'n', 2.4 GHz, Ch 11). Interestingly, if Cl2 is connected via lan/utp the internet is fast.

The frustrating thing is that file copying via ftp between Cl1 and Cl2 is fast into either directions. If both Cl1 and Cl2 are connected via wifi, the rate is still at least ~20 Mbbs; that's way faster than I'm getting compared to the internet.

All the routers are transparent, all the clients are at 192.168.1.xx. The dhcp is the hotspot.

I tried to replace the two routers; also tried to operate R2 as a "real router", so that it had dhcp and Cl2 was 192.168.2.x. The result were prety much the same: Wireless-lan-wireless: slow internet. Wireless-lan-lan: fast internet.

I measured the interned DL and UL speeds with speedtest.net; Ftp speed is just what I saw in the client software.

Curious, isn't it? Can anyone quess what may be going on here?

Cheers

(keywords: daisy chain, wifi + lan + wifi, wifi slow internet)

Hotspot is the ISP/WAN connection?

Use one router-mode router.
The other should be an access point or a router configured to be an access point.
One DHCP server in THE router.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The hotspot comes from the ISP. There is a modem kind of thing to connect to the fibre to the outside word. There is a router function as well, and it is 'the' router on the network with DHCP. The hotspot has an 'outside ip' and also an 'inside' ip (192.168.1.1).

All the clients on network (both in house1 and house2) are 192.168.1.xxx. The two "routers" in house2 function as access points. I gave them ip addresses so that they won't get random ips from the hotspot and I can access them.

I believe this setup should be already according to your suggestion.