What's new

wifi router - ipad issue - new router needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bulsworth

New Around Here
I just bought 2 of the original ipad 64gb wifi but for some reason the wifi never holds if the ipad goes to sleep or is turned off. I tried to get help from apple but htey just replaced the ipads but it is still happening.

here is my current set-up:

cox cable connects to my d-link dir-625. I have a desktop wired to that router. then i have a laptop, 2 droid 2s, wireless printer and xbox 360 all connecting without any issue. This is only happening with the ipad.

my thought is the router is not compatible with the ipads as I have tried changing almost every setting on the router with no luck.

i think it is just time to get a new router. Any suggestions? I don't need anything fancy just some that gets the job done. Would prefer to keep it below $100.

i did some reviews of all the threads here and found a few that look pretty good. any feedback on these specific ones:

• Buffalo Technology WZR-HP-G300NH
  • Cisco-Linksys WRT54GL
  • Cisco-Linksys WRT400N
  • NETGEAR WNR3500L
  • Cisco Linksys E2000
  • EnGenius ESR9850

That iPad, won't reassociate on wakeup after a sleep...
That may happen on most non-Apple WiFi routers, though I have no direct experience.
There's a setting in the router (or should be) called DTIM. The sleeping client is SUPPOSED to wake up briefly a few times a second to see if there's newly arrived WiFi traffic in queue at the router.
This is also called Power [consumption] Control.

My HTC Android has no problems losing association while idle/sleeping, then resuming.
I have a hunch that older Apple products didn't implement this correctly, and/or your router does not as well, or both.

As to a new plain-Jane WiFi router: I'd go for a Belkin or Buffalo 11g. The WRT54GL is too old but is still sold for the DD-WRT fans.

Bulsworth,

I am not sure what is going on with your Ipad reconnection issues, but my 4 Macs (three laptops and an IMac) have had no reconnection after sleep issues with an older Netgear rangemax router or with a new Cisco/Linksys E4200 router. Bottom line, I don't think you need to use an Apple wireless router for reliable performance with your Ipads.

I have had some problems with the E4200 dropping off in transmit power over time and dropping active connections. I eventually "solved" this problem by turning off the 5Ghz RF band in the E4200. I suspect running both radios may have caused an internal heating problem over time. For me, loss of the 5Ghz band wasn't too big a sacrifice, since the effective range of that band was too short to be of any use in my setup.

Hopefully, you'll get some good feedback from this forum for your possible router/AP choices. I would also check the owner's feedback on amazon.com, trying to focus on the more technical responses. Like you, I was pretty interested in the Buffalo G300NH router, but many Amazon owners reported frequent dropped connections and reliability problems with this unit.

For longest range, you might also look into two other units with high transmit power and higher gain/removable antennas:

Engenius 3500 access point
Ubiquiti PowerAP N router/access point

Both of these units (which are under $100!) have approximately ten times the transmit power (600, 1000mw, respectively) of most 50mw consumer units and their 5-8dbi gain dual antennas should also help with picking up weak client signals from your roaming Ipads.

Since my E4200 still has trouble reaching some rooms in my old, large Victorian house and an outbuilding at decent wireless speeds, I am also thinking of trying out the more powerful and more sensitive Ubiquiti or Engenius units.

@stevech = the dtim setting is 1.

@Mangusta1969 = thanks for the recommendations. i will check them out.

in the end i think it is just the router is too old and not compatible that is why I am looking for something new. I have been reading all the reviews here and on amazon to try to narrow it down. figured get some feedback on those or maybe other ones to look at like the ones you sent over.

Let us know what you upgrade to and how it works out. I will do the same if I spring for some longer range routers to replace my E4200.

I ended up buying a Cisco Linksys E2000 refurb for $32. I also ended up buying a new cable modem since mine was pretty old though i wasn't having any issues with it. I think in the end it was just time.

I am going to look into putting tomato or dd-wrt on this new one because people seem to say it improves it. I also may keep my old one as a bridge or access point. If i can figure out how to do both those things. I am pretty tech savy just never played with networks much before.