What's new

Wifi USB adapter for PC?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mooch91

New Around Here
This may be a silly question...

I have an older Windows 7 laptop with a 2.4G wifi card. I'm in the process of upgrading my home network, and this will be the lone device requiring 2.4G. The laptop is so old that I don't think there is a 5G card available.

I've seen that there are "wifi USB adapters" available. Is this a practical solution? Will it in fact operate at higher speed and throughput? I see many devices on Amazon, any particular brands to recommend (or stay away from)?

Thanks!

This may be a silly question...

I have an older Windows 7 laptop with a 2.4G wifi card. I'm in the process of upgrading my home network, and this will be the lone device requiring 2.4G. The laptop is so old that I don't think there is a 5G card available.

I've seen that there are "wifi USB adapters" available. Is this a practical solution? Will it in fact operate at higher speed and throughput? I see many devices on Amazon, any particular brands to recommend (or stay away from)?

Thanks!

The ASUS USB-AC53 Nano will probably work for you: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-dual-band-ac-usb-network-adapter-black/5732405.p?skuId=5732405

Disable your existing adapter in Device Manager, install the new adapter's driver from CD or download from ASUS website https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USB-AC53-Nano/HelpDesk_Download/. Decline any optional junk. Install the Nano and use it. It likely has more antennas than your laptop and it will connect to ac at link rate 866 Mbps.

OE

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!