What's new

Will this work as a wired access point?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jakobud

New Around Here
On my home network I have a wifi router, and then ethernet that runs to several rooms in the house. I want to add an Access Point to one of the rooms in part of the house where there is poor wifi reception. There is ethernet run to this room.

I'm looking at the following Trendnet Wireless Access Point:

http://www.trendnet.com/langen/products/proddetail.asp?prod=140_TEW-638APB#tabs-solution02

Will this work for me? I don't want the access point to be a range extender type of thing. I want it to be hard wired with ethernet directly to the router in the house.

I want there to be a single SSID for the house. So do I just set up the AP and the router both with the same SSID and just use different channels and I'll be good to go (as long as the AP is obtaining an IP from the router properly)?

Yes your plan will work fine. Just make sure you use only channel 1, 6 or 11 on the devices. Make sure they are using different channels (of the 1,6, or 11). Also make sure they are set to 20mhz channel width and not 40mhz or auto. They can both have the same SSID.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online