What's new

Windows embedded routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Guz

One thing I've noticed lately with manufacturers offering routers with USB ports simulating NAS, is that they really have a hard time dealing with NTFS formatted drives. Mainly because they are running Linux with reversed engineered NTFS drivers (Paragon, LinuxNTFS, Tuxera, etc). Let alone trying to work with exFAT formatted drives.

Even SAMBA has some minor quirks with Windows clients. Or it could be that no one really configures it properly, I don't know.

So has anyone ever thought of using Microsoft's Windows Embedded for running a router that offers NAS and Print services?

I know, I know... "Windows isn't secure!!!" But Microsoft has come a long way in security, with W7. Microsoft is continuing on with WE8, so it's still going, and won't be abandoned.

Also, I know that there is the cost of licensing WE. But I know when dealing with MS, deals can be made for volume licensing.

So, are there any Windows Embedded developers lurking here? What are your thoughts?

Personally, I would love to find a piece of hardware that has 4 ethernet ports, wireless, and USB that is compatible with WE and download the eval from MS to see if it's possible.

Last edited:
With Windows Server 2003 you cold turn your desktop/workstation in NAT/DHCP/DNS Somewhat Router. You need WAN NIC, LAN NIC, WiFi NIC so two NIC cards. Connect Switch to your LAN port. I did tried that and it did work back then. But the cost to run such a system and if it crash your router down. Today most Router is based on Linux OS.

Actually, I have turned a Win server into a router before (added file/print, dlna, ftp, etc. server) and it worked great. Win clients connect up perfectly for the services, even Mac, or mobile devices had no issues. From the WAN side it was as black as a Linux black hole router.

But as you said, it is overkill. Hence my question about Windows Embedded. Stripped down versions of windows that run on i86 or ARM.

I know LONG ago, there were Windows Embedded routers, but they didn't do well because that was back in the day when MS really was up securing the network side of their O/S's. So I'm curious if anyone else has revisited the idea.

Well that maybe so but the routers at there well the better ones Wired is better than getting those all-in-one rave. When you go into a business corp wise you don't see these all-in-ones. As for Windows embedded routers not that popular. Linux code isn't that bad to deal with today.

One thing I've noticed lately with manufacturers offering routers with USB ports simulating NAS, is that they really have a hard time dealing with NTFS formatted drives. Mainly because they are running Linux with reversed engineered NTFS drivers (Paragon, LinuxNTFS, Tuxera, etc). Let alone trying to work with exFAT formatted drives.

Even SAMBA has some minor quirks with Windows clients. Or it could be that no one really configures it properly, I don't know.

So has anyone ever thought of using Microsoft's Windows Embedded for running a router that offers NAS and Print services?

I know, I know... "Windows isn't secure!!!" But Microsoft has come a long way in security, with W7. Microsoft is continuing on with WE8, so it's still going, and won't be abandoned.

Also, I know that there is the cost of licensing WE. But I know when dealing with MS, deals can be made for volume licensing.

So, are there any Windows Embedded developers lurking here? What are your thoughts?

Personally, I would love to find a piece of hardware that has 4 ethernet ports, wireless, and USB that is compatible with WE and download the eval from MS to see if it's possible.

It's not security - Windows Embedded with CIFS is rather secure...

It's about costing - CPU support is the big one - MSFT is mostly focused on x86, most consumer gear is ARM/MIPS based.

SAMBA on NetBSD/Linux is good enough, and good enough ships - esp. at pricepoints for most consumer grade equipment.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!