What's new

windows is requiring a password, even though there is no password need to join the wifi network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hooflungdad

New Around Here
Hello everyone.
I'm new to this forum.

Long story. So just the facts.
I have a friend that connect to his landlord router. They're not getting along right now so he has no access to the router. The wifi connection was set up without requiring any password. He now has a new laptop, but when he tries to connect to the wifi network. Windows is requiring something be typed into the password field, even though no password is required. We both know for sure there is no password. But our phones wifi, and a Chromebook, all want something typed into the password field. Even though no password is required to join the network. Is there a workaround.

Thanks in advance
Hoo

It's not possible to have a "blank" password. The only way you can connect to a wireless access point without a password is if it is an "Open" system (like a public hotspot) or the device had previously connected to the router using WPS (pressing a button on the router or entering a PIN).

If you install a Wi-Fi analyser app on your phone you should be able to see the authentication method. If it's WPA/WPA2 then you need a password.

Thank you all for your response.
Your both are correct. And in the many years of working with networks, every suggestion was correct except for the fact that I know there is a blank space for the password.
We do have one older phone that sill have the password saved. So when you click show password on the phone where it still connects. It shows no password. (unchanged) greyed out in the password field.
So we do have one device that still connects, which we both know no password was entered.
"Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi...

Having "no password" is not the same as having a password that is a "blank space". A space is just a character like any other, it could equally be the letter "S".

That said, WPA and WPA2 require a minimum password length of 8 characters.

What make/model is the wireless router?

Everyone, Please accept my apologies for the earlier posting.
I took advantage of you to help we with a dear friend who has changed over the years and has become paranoid about the internet and technology. It was for a long time just a point of amusement but after an issue with windows 1803 the seriousness of how paranoid he has become is now serious. He trusts me it seems. But he truly believes hackers are after him 24 seven. This may remind some of you who have tried to help others who truly believe that a hacker is out there trying to spy on them.

Thank
Hoo

This sounds terrible, just because you're on bad terms with your landlord doesnt mean that he has to restrict your internet. You can have multiple lines per house so he can either get his own internet (if he is staying for 1-2 years more) or just talk with the landlord about internet access.

Being paranoid is one thing but you shouldnt believe that everyone is out to get you specifically, i get loads of attacks but thats because they're just bots and knowing basic security helps as well, same with finding the right router too.

I have a friend that connect to his landlord router. They're not getting along right now so he has no access to the router. The wifi connection was set up without requiring any password.

The landlord put a password on the Wifi he was sharing - the SSID he provided to the tenant previously was likely an "open" network, which does not prompt Windows to ask for a password.

Yes, it could be a social issue with the tenant, or maybe the landlord upgraded hardware - key thing here is go talk to the landlord and get a better feel for what's going on.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online