What's new

Wired Router connected to Wireless Bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tazzi

New Around Here
Can I connect a wired router to my new Asus EA-N66 wireless bridge (only one port)? If so, is this the same as connecting one router to another?

Thanks

I presume your EA-N66 is wirelessly connected to another router upstream?

If that's the case, sure, you can connect a wired router to the EA-N66. However you'll have to configure the router as a switch - turn off DHCP, turn off the firewall, turn off NAT, etc. Plug the EA-N66's LAN port into one of the LAN (not WAN) ports on the router, and plug other equipment into the router's other LAN ports.

If that's the case you might as well just get a switch, because that's all this second router will be doing. Wired switches are quite cheap these days, I keep seeing a 10/100 5-port one that's free after mail-in rebate.

I'm guessing you're considering this because you have a surplus router on hand though. Just make sure it doesn't duplicate any of the services your main router provides. It usually won't get an IP address by DHCP if you use its LAN ports though, so assign it an IP address outside your DHCP pool first or you'll have trouble accessing its web interface (which you'll need for turning off all its services). Do this by connecting it directly to a computer and manually reassigning its IP address first, because if you just connect it, it may try to use the same IP as your main router which would cause lots of problems.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online