What's new

Wired router for home use with 28/1 internet service

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sastley

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I'm moving into my new condo in a few months, and I want to get ready for my network solution. I'm going to be getting a 28/1 unlimited connection in the new place, and the condo is already wired with cat5e, so wireless is not going to be needed (I would prefer not having wireless, to be honest, if only to keep the cost down). There's only going to be 3 devices connected on the router: my gaming computer (hosting all of my media, 10+tb), a Squeezebox and something similar to a Popcorn Hour for my TV.

I will be streaming very high definition media to the Popcorn Hour (45gb blu-ray .iso rips), so I would like to make sure I have good enough wired performance to handle this. Additionally, I will likely be downloading over 2tb of data per month in 2 or 300gb bursts, so I would like to be sure the router can handle sustained loads like this for 18-24 hours.

Is there any benefit in getting a wired-only gigabit router (which I have been having great difficulty finding), or is it best to just get a fast consumer router and disable wireless?

Thanks!

Well that's what I am using the TP-LINK TL-ER6120 has managed switch, dual WAN and 3x LAN Ports all are Gigabit there is a console port for tapping into the router using a serial port on a laptop. Everything comes with this rack mounted 17.x-inch long metal case. Hefty Network Security features. It does have VPN since it's a VPN Router but that can be disabled and use it a full steam a head wired router. Price on this one is very low now.TP-LINK TL-ER5120 is a Load Balance Router. This one has quad WAN or triple LAN ports.. I had that one but returned it for TL-ER6120.

Now what your needs can be covered by the TL-ER6120 or get their managed Gigabit Switch to go for more Gigabit devices. There are pictures from me on SNB showing my setup. Really not that complex to setup. Other than TP-LINK is the ones for CISCO SMB RV042G 4x Gigabit ports for the LAN and one WAN port.

Thank you for the suggestion, tipstir, but that router has way more features than I need. I do not need dual WAN, VPN or higher-end security functions, all I need is a simple wired gigabit router with (hopefully) high performance.

Thank you for the suggestion, tipstir, but that router has way more features than I need. I do not need dual WAN, VPN or higher-end security functions, all I need is a simple wired gigabit router with (hopefully) high performance.

True it has all of that! The rest you want like the high performance. Sure your not going to find that ideal router each one might have features you don't need. I was looking for something heavy duty, can get the work done and last longer. Handle all that I run here and more without going duff! Plus have Speed and performance yes on my end always! Oh yes doesn't overheat!

Wired routers comes in with lower prices from $50 and up... This one is like mine except is has less features and smaller, but wired and gigabit.. You get managed switch for $66 bucks..

TL-R600VPN

Don't worry about the VPN you can always disable that feature. Other than this there are some pretty good WiFi Routers you can always turn any of them into a Wired Router just disable WiFi.. Those are option. SNB has a list of other wired and wireless routers you might what to check out?

From extensive use of a variety of product models, I can recommend Cradlepoint's products. They all use the same firmware. For me, the routers are configure and forget for a year.

From extensive use of a variety of product models, I can recommend Cradlepoint's products. They all use the same firmware. For me, the routers are configure and forget for a year.

I've picked one of the Cradlepoint's up for a backup AP although the 3G/4G/N seems solid enough. the GUI for the this type of WiFi Router is more in-depth so you need to know what your doing with it. In testing it? It can knock out a good number of my network media players on WiFi. I'll have to Isolate the issue.

Most consumer routers are wireless, since that is what the market wants.

The speed of the router has nothing to do with local traffic performance, since data flows through just the switch portion. All the router has to do is be fast enough to handle data to/from the Internet. A glance at the Router Charts will tell you that just about all current routers can handle 28/1.

So you can buy even a router with 10/100 ports and link it to a Gigabit switch and you'll be fine.