What's new

Wireless Buying Advice - I Could Use Some Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brad Carr

New Around Here
I live in a two-story home. Approx. 3,000 sq. ft. The office is located upsatirs in a corner of the house. I have an iMac hooked up to a Belkin N wireless router (model F5D8236-4). I bought it two years ago.

The kitchen table, where I use my Mac Power Book and/or an iPad 2, is located downstairs, on the opposite end of the house from where the office is located. My guess is that this location is 150 feet from the router.

I should mention that there is a microwave oven and a landline in the kitchen but not right near the table. In any event, I have been having a terrible time maintaining the signal when I use either of the aforementioned devices.

Neither Mac device automatically senses the closed network I created. I was thinking that I might need a repeater to help amplify the signal for the kitchen area or, altho it's only two years old, do I need a new (and stronger) router.

Based on what i have described can someone please offer a possible "cure" for the problem. This is getting to be really frustrating...

Thank you.